ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox help

ph2 clio sport 172
Hi guys,

Been searching and reading for last couple of days but not been able to find anything. Basically last week or two the gear stick had excessive movement and started coming out of 2nd gear under load. I changed the dogbone mount hoping this was the cause but just before I did I started hearing a slight whine when in gear and now have no drive.

Can select every gear but as soon as I let off clutch it moves a little then stalls, sometimes after its stalled it gets stuck in that gear and have to start car again and let off clutch for car to move a little then it frees up and can go through gears again.

I'm no mechanic so a little bit lost, is it new box time or trying few things first: could low gearbox oil cause this or with the dogbone mount being worn have knocked the gear linkage out of sync ( then again it does seem to select gears fine)

Thoughts appreciated or link to thread for help as I couldn't find anything to help.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Remove the n/s driveshaft and look to see if it's popped the circlip out mate. You'll need to refill the box with oil though so just make sure you've got something to catch the oil.

Last edited:
  ph2 clio sport 172
Just ordered some new oil, will try this and update later, thanks for suggestion. This is the great thing about this forum always plenty of people to help and offer advice.

ph2 clio sport 172
Ok so manage to get driveshaft out and took photo of where circlip is. Not really sure what I'm looking at but from other pictures it seems to be all intact. However on the driveshaft there was allot of metallic bits mixed with oil (see photos) :( something has gone and been grinding away I think. Any more thoughts personally looking like new box time.
a7y3uhu2.jpg
datu2uzy.jpg
taqygure.jpg

ph2 clio sport 172
Thought as much :( Recommended places? I believe you have had one rebuilt by Agency transmission? How was turn around time and cost?

Dropped mine with martin at agency at 6am and iirc it was done for 9:30am same day lol.

He is amazing at what he does.

£285 i paid for all new bearings ,some hubs, pinion and all seals along with new selector seal.

Highly recommend

ph2 clio sport 172
Just read some reviews sounds promising. Think I'm going to have a go getting box out this week/weekend. Spinksy is round corner from me if I get stuck :) Think Agency Transmission is about a 2 hour drive away so don't know if I should send box off or plan a day out with girlfriend conveniently down that way and drop box off and pick back up end off day. Will give them a call tomorrow for rough price and turn around time if I decide to take box down myself.

ph2 clio sport 172
u5ymubuh.jpg
2u2ypepy.jpg

Finally got box off and think its obvious why it kept stalling and get stuck in gear. :(

That's dead then. I've got a box that works fine when I drove it, but I didn't drive it hard so couldn't say if it crunched up high in the rev range. If you want to send it for a rebuild that's up to you. £75

ph2 clio sport 172
That's dead then. I've got a box that works fine when I drove it, but I didn't drive it hard so couldn't say if it crunched up high in the rev range. If you want to send it for a rebuild that's up to you. £75

If its the right box yeah that would be ideal mate. 100% sending any box I buy for a rebuild before refitting. Where you located?

ph2 clio sport 172
As much as I like cider that's a long drive for me lol. Any chance of me/you arranging a courier if that's ok?

ph2 clio sport 172
Cheers buddy. Just to confirm which box is it mines a 02 plate 172 jc5129. If you want to pm me your PayPal details il send money tomorrow and let you know when a courier will be picking up.

Mk8 GTi CS & Ph1
Sorry to thread jack . seems a similar subject. I'm on the side of the road waiting got the aa. Lost all drive when putting it into 4th. Now it will go into any gear with the clutch up. No drive at all. Sound like the circlip?

ph2 clio sport 172
Yeah from what iv been told, if ph1 or early ph2 with no drive tends to be circlip. It looks like an easy fix. It was first thing I checked on mine but sadly weren't the problem be warned once it goes it tends to keep going after, solution seems to be weld the clip in or I believe there is a plate you can buy for it.

ph2 clio sport 172
If the speedo rises still once in gear but no drive I believe it's the circlip, someone with more mechanical knowledge might correct me on that though.

ph2 clio sport 172
Ok so got my gearbox back from agency and got a new release bearing for clutch and ready to bolt back on. Had a quick read am
I right in thinking you grease the splined shaft on gearbox and inside of the bearing (plastic part) and the pivot point on the clutch fork?

7esyju2y.jpg

Tiny amount of grease on the splines , pivot point cap and sheeve thing that the rease bearing slides up n down on (thing with two bolts in picture just do the shaft)

Don't go crazy witb the grease.

Much wrong with the box that was rebuilt?

ph2 clio sport 172
No not really he said was one of best ones he's seen, especially as it was a 2nd hand box for £60. He replaced all synchro rings, bushes 1st and 2nd hub and 3rd and 4th hub, clips and top bearing gaskets and diff seal. Asked about the plate for circlip but said was no point as best one he's seen and would be a waste of money.

Have the gearbox back on, just been waiting for delivery for parts for suspension refresh which came today so gonna get subframe back on tomorrow hopefully with new wishbones, bushes, track rods and track rod ends etc.

Really happy with service at Agency Transmission, really funny guy and his mate as well. Ended up driving down as I hate waiting for couriers to damage/lose stuff I send.

Sound bloke Martin is, yep real funny too.

Never seen the other guy maybe because i was there for 6am lol.

Glad you got it sorted mate;)