ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Help!!!

182 ff with cup pack's
ive just set off from the lights normal and as i change to 2nd gear i hit a pot hole not a very big 1 just normal, anyway put it in 2nd let clutch out and there was nowt there just reved tryed 3rd nowt there too. stop and turned the car off and still the same nothing any ideas going to the ring on thursday

182 ff with cup pack's
no drive at all there way a guy on the strret i stoped in who said it could be the gear selector?

gonna try and get it home and have a look it was 3 streets away from my house lol

yea, does it feel like its going into gear, or does the gearstick feel like ya stirrin porridge?? Could be the splines on the OS gearbox output gone, seen that before.

182 ff with cup pack's
managed to get it home it feels like is going into gear when u release the clutch u can hear a nosie from the box gearstick feels normal

182 ff with cup pack's
nice looks like am not going germany then lol good job it happen here and not in germany. i wish i could swear on here lol GUTTED!!! how much that going o set me back then

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
£150 for a clutch, plus couple of hours' labour tops... £250 all-in...

You should make it a mission to get it done tomorrow!!

You HAVE to get to th'Ring on Thurs Cal mate!!! :S

BMW M135i
I'd doubt it was the clutch, pedal still feel normal? If the clutch was fooked it would either let you select gears without pressing the pedal or it wouldn't let you select them at all as it wouldn't disengage. Release bearing would either make lots of noise/stop the clutch disengaging/fail in spectacular style.

My monies on something with the gearbox. What noise do you get from the box?

182 ff with cup pack's
I'd doubt it was the clutch, pedal still feel normal? If the clutch was fooked it would either let you select gears without pressing the pedal or it wouldn't let you select them at all as it wouldn't disengage. Release bearing would either make lots of noise/stop the clutch disengaging/fail in spectacular style.

My monies on something with the gearbox. What noise do you get from the box?

pedal still feels fine it selects the gears and when u release the clutch u hear like a glunking noise not loud i could only hear it when i was under the car

ValverInBits
if it is a driveshaft then the broken shaft will spin and spin and supply no drive. clios dont have an LSD so all the power is given to the wheel with the least grip (ie the broken shaft)

172 Race Car
if it is a driveshaft then the broken shaft will spin and spin and supply no drive. clios dont have an LSD so all the power is given to the wheel with the least grip (ie the broken shaft)
Thats why i said driveshaft. he did hit a pot hole at the same time.

Stick your head underneath (not so you can get run over tho) and get someone to try and drive it. see if any shafts are turning

200sx s14a
my bro did pretty much the same thing in his ibiza tdi and when they stripped gear box it turned out to be the gear selector something or other lol my technical jargen

182 ff with cup pack's
Thats why i said driveshaft. he did hit a pot hole at the same time.

Stick your head underneath (not so you can get run over tho) and get someone to try and drive it. see if any shafts are turning

will have a look in the morning

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
isnt there a circlip on the driveshaft that goes into the gearbox and when this breaks you lose drive? Im suprised no one has mentioned it as i thought it was quite common.

BMW M135i
isnt there a circlip on the driveshaft that goes into the gearbox and when this breaks you lose drive? Im suprised no one has mentioned it as i thought it was quite common.
They changed to a bolted diff retainer in the 182 gearbox which alleviates the problem so there isn't a circlip to fail/pop out. My late 172 had a 182 box in it so unless its a very early 182 or the box has been changed before I doubt its that. Something to consider though.

182 ff with cup pack's
well just dropped my car off at the garage so in a few hours will find out what happend

182 ff with cup pack's
well it turns out it was the diff thats broke, so got a new gearbox going in today.

thaks for all the help!!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
blimey thats a quick turn around. how much they charge you for a new gearbox?

182 ff with cup pack's
yeah recon not sure if got a warrenty my dads spoke to the guy today as i was in work not paying vat on that price

182 ff with cup pack's
he charged me £200 for labor and i got to keep my old box witch just needs a diff