ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox gone !!!!!! help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! based in worksop

monaco blue 172 ..
went to my mums earlier to drop daughter off , car been fine alday . started it up and it jumper forward . so thleft it in gear .checked and it was what i thought was in neutral and started it again .and did same ... nothing has come loose or come off underneath .but oil is now leaking from the selector under car .. and i can only select 3rd gear and nothing else ... so presume its a new gearbox ?????? anyone any ideas where i can get another gearbox from and how hard are they to change ... need it done asap cos need my car for work im in worksop near sheffield .. cant even put it in neutral to be towed i can only put foot on clutch while engine running or not ..

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Big job, subframe off, might as well change the clutch while its off, secondhand boxes available from £150^ but it would be better to recon yours, £££ I'm afraid.

monaco blue 172 ..
What miles has it done mate and how much ? Any crunching or whining ? Been quoted 150 to remove box and refit . How does that sound ?

monaco blue 172 ..
Just dunno weather to buy second hand or rebuild cos funds this time of year are limited

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
If I were you i'd get the car to Mick (Long Eaton) or DDC (Doncaster). Get them to take the box out and ship it to Agency transmissions for a rebuild.

AB Clio 182 FF
Mine went a couple of months back , brought a 2nd hand one from renparts £250+£50 p&p , came with 3 months warranty, took me sat and sun to remove and refit (including new clutch , track rod ends , powerflex arb bushes ) a month later the 2nd hand one broke (was supposed to have only done 53k), so i rang renparts back up , and 2 weeks ago i sent it back to them for a full refurb , and im still waiting for them to send it back even though they said 3-5 days !!!

Moral of the story :
Dont buy one from renparts !! and if you buy a 2nd hand one theres a chance that it will break and if you ain't got warranty then you will be buying another one !

my personal opinion get it refurbed , may cost you more than a 2nd hand one , but it will be getting brand new parts , and will more than likely come with a decent warranty :)

hope this helps

AB Clio 182 FF
like boosh says send it to agency transmissions , if you do a search in the forums for agency transmissions , they have got some great reviews , some sayin he has managed to do a turnaround in 1-2 days which is excellent , i wish i had done this from day 1 , instead of being fobbed off by renparts

monaco blue 172 ..
Sounds cheap at £50, rebuild should be circa £250

150 is just to remove and then refit. Then on top of that it's whatever to have the box rebuilt .there is a place near me called all gears and they specialize in BMW and jaguar gearbox rebuilds . They just do gearbox rebuilds and a mate knows the owner so ........ Gonna see what they have to say tomoz

monaco blue 172 ..
What would it cost from my explanation in my 1 st post for a rebuild for my box ? Does it sound repairable

monaco blue 172 ..
Would I need a speed drive box or not ? Dunno the difference ? . Just had email from all gears .. They want 450+ vat. To rebuild mine. I'd rather risk 150 for a second hand one

330i. E30 Touring.
Mine went a couple of months back , brought a 2nd hand one from renparts £250+£50 p&p , came with 3 months warranty, took me sat and sun to remove and refit (including new clutch , track rod ends , powerflex arb bushes ) a month later the 2nd hand one broke (was supposed to have only done 53k), so i rang renparts back up , and 2 weeks ago i sent it back to them for a full refurb , and im still waiting for them to send it back even though they said 3-5 days !!!

Moral of the story :
Dont buy one from renparts !! and if you buy a 2nd hand one theres a chance that it will break and if you ain't got warranty then you will be buying another one !

my personal opinion get it refurbed , may cost you more than a 2nd hand one , but it will be getting brand new parts , and will more than likely come with a decent warranty :)

hope this helps

Unfair to slate Renparts for this matey. If you buy anything second hand, you've got to be prepared for it not to me A1.

Also, having lasted a month, that suggests the problem wasn't immediate. How are they supposed to sell parts? Drive everything round for a month to ensure it all works correctly?

Them paying for a rebuild (if they are) is above and beyond customer service IMO.

Moral of the story :

Publicly slating a company because a second hand part failed after a month, through no fault of their own, which they are now rectifying. You seem a highly intelligent individual.

monaco blue 172 ..
I can only select 2 gears what feels like 3 rd and 4 th and they aren't smooth either no 1 2 5 or neutral. Thinking of getting second hand ..... Strange thing is. It didn't go while driving .. Only when I started car drink cold once it had cooled down

monaco blue 172 ..
Just found out mine is the non Speedo type does this mean it's not a cable but electronic ? ...anyone got a decent non Speedo type

www.renparts.co.uk
As above really, the gearbox failed after 1 month so we asked you whether you wanted us to send a replacement used gearbox or have that one back to recondition. Agreed for that one to be reconditioned and we paid to collect the gearbox have it reconditioned and its now on its way back to you. Delay was due to a bearing that was out of stock. When purchasing a used part we test it to the best of our ability. If it fails a month down the line we will replace or repair it free of charge. Not really sure how you can be more fair than that. I advised your mum all of the above when she phoned us on Saturday. Going above the call of duty and replacing it with a re-con as an apology seems pointless now as you feel the need to badmouth us on a public forum for resolving your issue. We only needed to send a replacement used unit.
-Josh

AB Clio 182 FF
Unfair to slate Renparts for this matey. If you buy anything second hand, you've got to be prepared for it not to me A1.

Also, having lasted a month, that suggests the problem wasn't immediate. How are they supposed to sell parts? Drive everything round for a month to ensure it all works correctly?

Them paying for a rebuild (if they are) is above and beyond customer service IMO.

Publicly slating a company because a second hand part failed after a month, through no fault of their own, which they are now rectifying. You seem a highly intelligent individual.

im not slating them for the fact the 2nd hand gearbox failed as like you say it's impossible to say , neither am I slating them for offering to refurb the box , the issue I have is the fact that I was told that it would take 3-5 days maximum to refurb , 3 WEEKS later I still ain't got it back , numerous times they have said they will call me back and haven't (for example last Saturday they said they would ring me this morning with an update ,I'm still waiting ) , I was told that when it was refurbed it would be sent next day delivery , when I spoke to them Saturday they said it had already been sent by courier last Wednesday and would not be with me till this Wednesday , so that's clearly not next day and personally I don't know any courier that takes 7 days to deliver a item 70 miles away , a 2nd class letter would get there quicker ,

so lads I'm sorry that I'm a bit annoyed with renparts I jus did not expect this kind of service from a reputable business

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
im not slating them for the fact the 2nd hand gearbox failed as like you say it's impossible to say , neither am I slating them for offering to refurb the box , the issue I have is the fact that I was told that it would take 3-5 days maximum to refurb , 3 WEEKS later I still ain't got it back , numerous times they have said they will call me back and haven't (for example last Saturday they said they would ring me this morning with an update ,I'm still waiting ) , I was told that when it was refurbed it would be sent next day delivery , when I spoke to them Saturday they said it had already been sent by courier last Wednesday and would not be with me till this Wednesday , so that's clearly not next day and personally I don't know any courier that takes 7 days to deliver a item 70 miles away , a 2nd class letter would get there quicker ,

so lads I'm sorry that I'm a bit annoyed with renparts I jus did not expect this kind of service from a reputable business

did not really need to bring it up tbh.

monaco blue 172 ..
I have the choice of 2 boxes from 2 guys ..just have to decide which one ... One on 75 k one on 76 k. ?

AB Clio 182 FF

Ask Ross Lakin's mum to decide.

She said the one with 75k ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I can send any JC/JB/ND/PK/TL box to be fully rebuilt by our guy for £400. He's an ex-Hewlands man so knows what he's doing and is local to us. You can either ship it to me or brig the car in and I'll remove/refit for £150 + consumables.

I make nothing on the box refurb price btw and that price includes for new synchro's, bearings and the replacement of any badly worn/damaged ratios. The casing also gets a full chemical clean and comes with a 12month unlimited mileage warranty.

Mick

I don't know any courier that takes 7 days to deliver a item

Distance makes no odds. On an economy delivery each depot has scope for a max 2 days holding to get it onto the trunk/delivery vehicle.

pick up depot - can hold for 2 days

Off to the Hub in the midlands, where it gets sorted, and the ND and Priority packages get loaded onto the trunk to the delivery depot, then its topped up with existing EC's that wern't taken the night before and then the EC's that came in that day - Potential for 1 day holding here.

Delivery depot, trunk arrives and is unloaded, day vehichles get loaded with the priority and ND's and the topped up woth any EC's that will fit. - Potential for 2 days here..

monaco blue 172 ..
Car is now at a friend garage he is removing old box . Fitting my new clutch and fitting new box for £150. So should be back on road Monday. Tuesday. ..... Thanks James 23 for the box

monaco blue 172 ..
Car is now at a friend garage he is removing old box . Fitting my new clutch and fitting new box for £150. So should be back on road Monday. Tuesday. ..... Thanks James 23 for the box