ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox going - Diff? *VIDEO*

Clio 182
Hi guys

My gearbox sounds like it is on the way out; it makes a whine/ scuffing noise at low revs and only when under none or low load.

Under full load it's quiet, I put the car on axle stands and put it in third, the sound seems to be exaggerated compared to when driving but does this sound like the diff or something else? ->

th_ede917c6.jpg

The noise is only there in gear, when in neutral or the clutch is pressed then it disappears.

I've checked the mounts and they seem fine, also had a new N/S driveshaft but made no difference :dapprove:

Any thoughts?

James

Cooksport Fleet
Need to hear it while driving. Does the noise stop when your in neutral and you press the clutch?

Josh

Clio 182
Its just a whine when driving, only at low revs or coasting, still there if the clutch is pressed when moving but no noise at standstill no matter what I do

Cooksport Fleet
Checked the gearbox oil level? Sounds like box bearings but difficult to diagnose from that video.

Box out and rebuild time I think!

PM me if you want it doing.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Just out of interest, what sort of price is it to replace/refurb the boxes in these?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
That's not too bad at all. I'm guessing Agency transmissions are down south tho?! Think my box is ok, but have got a whining but think it's just the noisy belts rather than the box. Don't know how to check the oil in the box in these, is it just a case of topping it up to the marker/plug thingy?

Clio 182
Agency are just outside Worcester, but you can pallet your box to them.

Theres are white plastic butterfly screw on the front side of the gearbox, when the cars on the ground the oil should be level with the hole