ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox end cover & bolts

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Bit of an odd one. A mate noticed a pool of gearbox oil under my car (annoyingly it was new too) and on investigation, it seems that the black end cover had shed 2 of the 3 bolts holding it in and the plate has subsequently worked itself loose, resulting in a fairly decent leak! Good save, as it's not lost much fluid but worrying and annoying at the same time. A bit of a search didn't yield any other instances of this happening but then I might not have been searching for the right thing... not sure if there's a seal that's been replaced in the past and the bolts have been over or under tightened.

My question is, what length are the 3 bolts that hold the plate in place? I know they're an M8 thread but want to get replacements sorted out and as they're blind holes, the thread length is rather important.

Cheers in advance, AndyC

Cliobox.jpg

Last edited:
  Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
To answer my own question. The bolts are about 20mm long but the thread on them is only about 15mm. New bolts fitted with a little threadlock and done up nice and tight. Funnily enough, whe I went to fill up the gearbox, it still had oil spilling out the fill plug, so must have been a little over-filled anyway. Happy days.