ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox /clutch noise

Megane R26
Had a new clutch fitted a couple of weeks ago and have since had a rattle from the gearbox area.

In neural, in gear and noticeable at low speeds at low noise.
Will do it all the time. Clunky rattle like a release bearing.

My gearbox was very quiet and smooth before. Never crunched, never rushed. Doesn't whine in any gears, no synchro issues.

Had the correct gearbox oil in after the clutch change. Clutch was a new LUK item.

Any idea? It's driving me crazy and is very noticeable at traffic lights and generally idling.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's your clutch mate making the noise imo. Helix clutches have been known to make a similar noise as well! It's the splined centre of the clutch that has a small amount of play and that's the resulting rattle.

Mine makes the exact same noise.

The first time I had a diff whine on the original box. I sourced a 2nd hand unknown box off ebay with a brand new valeo clutch and had the box put on with the new clutch, box was an un-known and had a crunch in 3rd. So with the "temp" gearbox not being the best.I asked Alex and he kindly send my box off to agency for a re condition.

I put the new box on without even checking the valeo unit as it was new but sadly when it was all back together it still made the noise.

Somehow as above speaking to people its a failed clutch unit.