ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox bearing sound... what are my options?

FF RB 182
When I'm around 3k+ plus in gear and i let off, i can hear a bearing type noise. Only does it when it's in gear. Dipping the clutch it stops.

I've got a bit of work to do on the car including a new driveshaft. So will check the oil at the same time, but if a bearing is shot it's not going to get better.

So do i... rip the gearbox out and send it off to a friend of a friend to have it checked over and rebuilt (can't really be without the car tho) he charges about £80 then parts I think. Or risk a 2nd hand one off eBay and swap them over. (could have it checked over but thats more cost) Or just run it on and deal with it if i goes...

330i. E30 Touring.
Run it until it gets worse. Nurse it.

In that time, buy a second hand box off here. One that's either rebuilt recently, or from a trusted seller and have that rebuilt if you want to be sure.

FF RB 182
I don't nurse it though, i like to drive the car. Already spending £30 on gearbox oil.. and whilst i have bits stripped out to do track rods, front discs and pads, drive shaft, steering rack bushes. It makes sense to do it all at once.. but to be quite honest, i can't be bothered with the gearbox. haha

FF RB 182
Well i'm just waiting on a message back on how much he will charge to strip box and rough cost. So i may look on eBay and going to have a look on here now for a 2nd hand one cheapish he can do, then swap them over. Then i could even get my old one refurbed then sell it on.

FF RB 182
Also are the 172 / 182 gearboxes the same as in terms of ratios etc? I can't imagine it making that much difference tho?