ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear recommendation for a city trip to NY??

Meg 225
In Aypril i'm going with my girl to NY for a week and it will be my first city trip with my DSLR. I've got a D7000 and an F-Stop GURU backpack. What gear would you guys recommend on taking with me in terms of extra batteries, memory cards etc And would you recommend to get an other bag? Maybe a shoulder one? What lenses would be very useful on a trip like this. Me and the misses can't wait to get there and i don't want to miss a thing on my gear when we are in NY, so a little help from people with experience with such situations would be very much appreciated!

Gear so far:
Nikon D7000
18-105mm kit lens
Nikon 10,5mm Fish eye
F-stop GURU
so not much gear at all lol

A proper wide-angle lens might be a good shout, instead of a fisheye lens.

Apart from that, the 18-105mm is a decent range, so you've got that covered.

What you've got seems ok to me, the 10.5 Fisheye is the best lens I've ever taken to New York. The 18-105 should cover 99% of your needs without needing to mess around with swapping lens all the time.

A shoulder bag would be better in my opinion, I couldn't live without mine in New York.

Meg 225
Thanks for the replies guys, as the backpack is great for hiking i don't want to look like hiker lost in NY, but in some cases i think a backpack is more comfortable walking around all day with something to drink and maybe some cloths in it.
What wide angle lens would you guys recommend on my D7000?

275 Trophy
Get yourself into here when you get there: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

The best camera shop i've ever been to.

Did you not feel like you'd been mugged? I did. Most efficent camera shop I've ever been to, without question. They have your money off you in no time at all. Opening question as soon as you walk through the door is, "here to buy or browse". If you chose the latter, you're out of the door, item in hand minus your money in double quick time.

On the equipment front, I would deffo take a ploarising filter for whatever lens you take. You get some great colours and skys in New York in April.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Did you not feel like you'd been mugged? I did. Most efficent camera shop I've ever been to, without question. They have your money off you in no time at all. Opening question as soon as you walk through the door is, "here to buy or browse". If you chose the latter, you're out of the door, item in hand minus your money in double quick time.

Never experienced it like that personally. I just walk in, no questions... just go for a look at the lenses. Purchase or don't purchase... walk out.

Meg 225
I already looked up where the shop was! It's a little bit cheaper then cam equipment around here, so worth a look i guess. We're staying in Park Central Hotel http://www.parkcentralny.com/ it's location is very central and i hope we have time enough to see all places we want to see. I'll have a look in the mean time for a Tokina 11-16mm.
Maybe another noob question but does a prime lens be handy? Something like a 50mm f/1.4?

Better is very subjective. The Tokina is crap at 18mm ;)

I would say yes at 11mm, no at 16mm for sharpness. It's faster for a start, although not by much if your referring to the f3.5 version of the 10-20. The tokina is generally considered the best ultrawide zoom but it has a limited zoom range, more like a prime!

For shooting architecture the tokina will be great, for general landscapes you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

Someone on here posted 100% crops of the Tokina 11-16 and the Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and the Tokina was considerably sharper!

30/50mm prime could be good fun but you will have to faff with changing lenses in the middle of the street if a wide-angle of epicness presents itself lol

Regardless of gear, buy a sunrise/sunset ticket for Top of the Rock...photography wise it's the best usage of money in NYC in my opinion.

2.2 bar shed.
It's faster for a start, although not by much if your referring to the f3.5 version of the 10-20.

The 3.5 Sigma 10 - 20 though is probably one of the worst lenses ever made. It doesnt get sharp till 5.6/8, and by that point you might as well of bought the slower sharper version? Canon 10 - 22 is the best ultra wide if you can afford it. Shame I lost mine :(