ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear oil advice..wrong decision?

Clio 182 FF
Hi all,

I changed my gearbox over the weekend and i am questioning whether or not the oil i have used is any good? I didn't have many options so i have gone for some Tripple QX 75w80 semi-synthetic from ECP http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...nual-transmission-fluids/?522776051&0&cc5_868

It says its API GL5 but is it the right stuff? I plan on dropping the oil again but wanted to know if i should do it tomorrow with some Castrol from Halfords or order some tranself NFJ online?

Cheers

Clio 182 FF
Ordered some Tranself but i notice the box gives a whine now in low speed first gear (not loud loud but increases as you apply revs and vanishes when you dip the clutch), is this normal or should there be no whine at all? The oil i stuck in was some Triple QX 75W80 GL5 but i have read some bad things about GL5?? Should have the Elf oil to swap tomorrow - but, running 100 or so miles on this GL5 stuff is it likely to have worn anything or caused a problem? I am just panicking as i have spent the weekend replacing the box and really dont want to have to do it again anytime soon?

Cheers

Cliosport 172 cu
If noise goes when pressing clutch ain't that the release bearing or main bearing I used nfj trans elf brill stuff tbh

Clio 182 FF
Release/pressure bearing is engaged when clutch is depressed so its not that - and i bloody hope not main bearing as i have just swapped a box out because of that! lol Dont these boxes whine at all? It only seems to be noticeable at around 1500-3000rpm.

monaco 172
had this on mine, tried 3 different oils including elf and also changed the clutch and release bearing. turned out to be a bearing in the box.

Cliosport 172 cu
Yeah dose sound like release or main but if main bearing just get it recon if it is a decent box but if you do change again use NJF gearbox oil that's trans elf 75/80

Cliosport 172 cu
Yeah I know I've always rebuilt mine on my older cars like mk1 golf I had bit of night mate n can be costly but worth it martinR are you going shakespeare raceway 25th this month.

Yeah I know I've always rebuilt mine on my older cars like mk1 golf I had bit of night mate n can be costly but worth it martinR are you going shakespearen raceway 25th this month.

No mate i won't be going. There is a meet in the midlands section for pod next month. Pop along

Cliosport 172 cu
21st man I'm up brean this month and next what a bugger I'll have to pop to one of the local meets soon thou