ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gear box oil

TDI tyre shreader

Reety, renault the nice people that they are advise me that my drive shaft gaitor has split needing a new driveshaft and making me £270 lighter. My arse!!!

will do it myself, after i find somewhere that sells the shaft other than the pimps!!

Anyway, back on track!! does anyone have a recomendation for the gear box oil? im quite hard on my box so i want to treat to somthing nice, the car is a mk2 172 weapon!!

TDI tyre shreader

its the inner driverside

do you know of any makes? im not really up on my gearbox lube

Lionel Richie

inner gaitor on the gearbox?????

Total, Comma, Silkolene, millers

ask oilman on here, he knows his stuff about oil

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

I had my inner driveshaft gaitor replaced a few weeks ago.

The gaitor was about £16 + vat I think. The driveshaft was £160ish IIRC. Havent got an invoice with the exact figures as I didnt let ripoff Renault do it - They quoted me £311 if the driveshaft needed doing as well!!

(For a Mk2 172 btw)

You can just buy a gaiter and fit it yourself the gaiters £16 or so and the grease is £10 or so. Fitting it is a right pain its do able but will take ages with a good selection of screwdrivers and wedges.

Id recomend Millers 75/90 gearbox oil its been fine for my gearbox even on the track.

TDI tyre shreader

reet bit of a help needed reply!!
I went to my local trade shop today and got hold of a new gaitor which included a bearing?!?! anyway got home got the car up in the iar wheel off and had a butchers at it and they have given me the wrong gaitor. So i decide to remove the knackered one to take with me to get the right one. Got the large section off easy but where it seals against the housing of the in cv joint it appears to be attached to a metal ring that has been pressed into the housing. is it still possible to fit a new gaitor as i couldnt get it out and i cant see how you can squeeze a new gaitor over nything esp if it has a metal ring round it. Oh i took a pic of it to try and help abit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/jonesy172/DSC_0249.jpg

You need to remove the metal ring, why do you think people say its a pain in the ass job, i chose to get a new shaft for mine, £45 part ex, or £30 for a gatair kit from reno, driveshaft - 1 hour gatair - god knows how long, and plenty of swearing

TDI tyre shreader

think im just going to get a new shaft i can really be arsed sweating over a sh*tty bit of rubber, plus the cv joint is prob full of crap now anyway.

Cheers Lunner

Where did you get your new shaft from? I just had a look on GFS and they dont list for the sport.

GSf, ring them, half the things they do arent listed on the site or in the catalogue, and half the prices/info is wrong anyways.

Mine was the o/s saft for a mk1