ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gear box oil leak from gear selecta

172 cup
ive had some issues with the handling of the 172 cup since I got it and took it to get the tracking done, the guy noticed it was looking for the gear selecta, could anyone shine any light on this for me as I know nothing about cars

many thanks

mark

172 cup
ok cool that's kinda nice to hear I was thinking the worst like having the box out ect ect, sometimes it knocks and crutches going into first too :S

cheers mate

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've never owned a 172/182 that doesn't leak gearbox oil. In fact I'm certain the French did it to stop the underside of the car from rusting! Lol

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Nothing if you top it up every now and again, if you just ignored it eventually it will all leak out and the box will explode at 70mph like my old one did, the plastic sump tray hid the leak from me right up until it went BANG!!!

Don't use the FN10 JC5 kit and any similar kits. I had a small leak, bought this, installed very carefully and cleaned everything, now the leak is 10 times worse. Found people with similar experience online, I think on this forum.
Only if you have a massive leak, more than 1 liter in a month\1000 miles I'd say, you should consider it.

immaculate clio 172
Never noticed any leaks on my 182
Where am I looking for the said leak?

More importantly what gearbox oil do I need and where is the fill/level plug on the f4r engine/box?

Thanks

172 cup
took the car to the local back street garage last night, they took a look at the leaking area said it was something they wouldn't deal with BUT took the plug out of the gear box, it took 2liters of box oil to fill up. kinda got me worried s bit as it was crunching when going in reverse !

172 cup
yeah I'm guessing no one looked into it leaking, the place I got it from told me it was from the rocker cover, , would having low oil in the box is now a ticking time bomb ?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
yeah I'm guessing no one looked into it leaking, the place I got it from told me it was from the rocker cover, , would having low oil in the box is now a ticking time bomb ?
If I was you i'd buy a second hand box from the for sale section (£100-£150) and stick it in the shed, that way if yours goes bang you can get them swapped over straight away, if you've already got crunching it won't be long before it gives up on you.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Noticed mine is leaking from the selector too, good opportunity to check the gearbox engine mount while topping up gearbox oil