ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear box oil leak from drivers side drive shaft seal with Pics help needed please

03 clio sport asc
Hi Guys

I had my gear box rebuilt about 2 months ago, racked up heaps of driving and a track day with no issue at all but now my gear box is leaking really bad, Ive even stopped driving it until its fixed.

Car also has a Quaife LSD.

Please see pics below, basically the seal is leaking in Pic 1, if any ones know the part number and how to change it instructions that would be great, if not or to hard i am sure my gear box builder will be ok with fixing it,

My BIG concern is why the connecting rod is able to move around by hand quite a lot, is this normal? This can be easily be seen by comparing pic one and 2.

Note: the dust cover was moved away so I could get some pics.

DSC02462_zps32c009ea.gif

DSC02463_zps24bedc8f.gif

Another concern is I think the person who fitted the box over filled it, as I have lost a couple of big puddle of oil almost wheel to wheel but still the gear box oil level is to the filling plug. I gave him a 5 litres of ELF and he never returned the excess. Could this have something to do with it?

Cheers Guys

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
quite simple really.... the seal is leaking........ maybe go back to your gearbox builder & get him to change it. tis possible the seal got nicked or damaged when putting it on.

Lionel Richie
that seal costs a whopping £3+vat, just change it, shame you have to drop the box oil to do it, but just drain it into a clean container and chuck it back in

03 clio sport asc
Cheers guys, ordered a new seal today from Renault, I think they got the conversion wrong as its $18 AU! but thats no drama, seal not just leaking in one day all the gear box oil I am pretty sure has drained out!

My biggest concern is the shaft that joins the drive shaft and diff spline together, that looks like it is loose as seen between pics it moves left and right, almost enough maybe while driving to have hit the seal causing it to leak. WHY?

Renault parts tell me its a common fault and only part they supply is the entire drive shaft which costs a whopping $500 AU!

Going to pull it off tonight and have a look, on another clio I owned that connecting rod had all the splines completely sheared off causing a complete loss of drive but I never assumed it was able to come off the drive shaft as I also had to replace the entire drive shaft.

Cheers again for the help guys

Lionel Richie
you need to start buying stuff from the uk and having it shipped, we get most stuff out within 7days, somethings are 24hour delivery from the uk! Let me know if you need anything in future!

03 clio sport asc
Update - It seems there is a little o ring that goes after the oil seal on the shaft coming out of the gearbox, the monkey that installed the gearbox left the o ring on the old gearbox which is what stops the drive shaft spline joint from moving to far forward and running into the gearbox seal [h=1][/h]I have a new seal and o ring and a custom made tool to fit the oil seal, fingers crossed I can remove the old seal easily and install the new seal. slap on the o ring and install the drive shaft fill it back up with oil and pray it doesnt leak.

this is the part that connects the drive shaft to the gearbox:
ScreenHunter_19Mar141110_zpsbccec2cb.jpg

Why the hell isnt it pertinently attached to the drive shaft?
why do Renault even have an o ring there in the 1st place?
Can the spline join simply be welded to the drive shaft?
Also if that spline joint ever wears out (my old car had one side of the splines turn to dust) a new Drive shaft is the only way renault supply the part ($500AU)

Lionel Richie
as i say, buy your parts from me in future LOL! I'm actually in the process of setting up a car parts company that sells only to Aus

02 Iceberg 172
Bah... Gold Coast? Melbourne is where it's at Fred :)

BTW seeing as you don't do PM's, do you have an email I can get you at?

02 Iceberg 172
Bah... Gold Coast? Melbourne is where it's at Fred :)

BTW seeing as you don't do PM's, do you have an email I can get you at?

Ah just saw your trader thread, I'll either post in there or give you a call if I can get the UK-OZ time difference to work... :)