ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gear box after turbo ?

Clio 172 phase 1
Hewoo, im thinking about going down the turbo route, im looking at the 4k kit that andy offers but my gear box at the moment could use a refurb so im wondering what options do I have as im sure the standard one couldn't handle the power, id like 280-300 bhp and as much torque as I can have :) but what gear box can I use and what are the costs,,, im weighing up doing this or just buying a better car ( but I love my clio ) any help appreciated on what other people are doing

I used the standard gearbox for approx 5000 miles with no problems.

However, as I plan to keep mine for a long time I have gone for an 02m conversion. Unfortunately this will cost you not far off the price of the turbo conversion!

Clio 172 phase 1
ouch ive seen a few threads about the 02m box, don't really think I can justify the money as my clio needs calipers ( and as ive gutted it completely it needs a carpet and a dash) my gear box atm is like a stick in a bucket ( even with the pms kit and solid mounts all round ) so im like hmmm 2k on a box is fine but id want a clutch and it all fitted for that too .... its got to be powerful and mostly reliable....

Chip always said to me that to get 300bhp AND do supporting mods (diff, brakes, suspension etc etc) you need to be thinking around the £10k mark.

Obviously it can be done cheaper than that - but it's not a million miles off!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Chip always said to me that to get 300bhp AND do supporting mods (diff, brakes, suspension etc etc) you need to be thinking around the £10k mark.

Obviously it can be done cheaper than that - but it's not a million miles off!

This. When I did some sums with Mike Woodford for a 300 bhp clio it was not far off £12k, and I already had a diff, suspension, cage bla de bla de bla. Lol!

Hence me going the supercharged route, and sticking at 240bhp / 250bhp.......

Clio 172 phase 1
seems that 300bhp is along way off.... whats the charger kit cost you is it worth it over the turbo ? 250bhp would be okay id like to see close to 280 tho really fancy having something thatll embarrass m3s and stuff :) ... had a mk2 xr2 with a zvh turbo conversion before was just so much fun pulling away from porches at like 90+ mph ..... ( sadly it rotted into the ground )

If you have suspension and brakes sorted already, I'd say 4k for turbo conversion and 2k for gearbox. 300bhp is easily achievable but it's what purpose you will use the power. if your doing track etc then you should look for the 02m gearbox as standard wont put up with much abuse.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Standard box + mechanical sympathy
megane box + adaptor plate and shafts
O2m box plus all the bits and bobs £1800

this has been covered quite a lot.

Clio 172 phase 1
megane box sounds good.... I know a lot gets asked over and over but this ive not found any one say,..... so and so does the conversion they charge X amount and supply all the bits drive in drive out..... nor have I heard any one say anything other than use this and its ££££££££££ money...... I just want to take it to some place be told a price fully fitted for everything ... pay and leave happy with a high powered reliable car :) mechanical sympathy is a no no if its designed for big power I want to use it otherwise theirs no point in having the power atall