ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz coiovers or cup shocks and cook sports..

clio 172 ph 2
Car will be used on road and track days. Phase 2 non cup. Will eb poly bushing it too and already got cobra techniks mounts. What's everyone's opinion? (Am I right in thinking cup chicks will fit too?)

I was going to go Cup shocks and Eibach/Cooksport springs but picked a set of Gaz coilovers up second hand, freshly refurbished. Been happy with them so far.

clio 172 ph 2
Do you find them crash u on bumpy country roads to the point where the car skips or breaks grip? That's what I don't want .

I haven't found them that way so far as I've not been able to push it due to other niggles. Found it fine on the crap roads around here though in normal driving. They do have adjustable damping though on the rear and it's on its softest.

Renault Clio 172
Cooksports are not all their cracked up to be in my opinion, too stiff to enjoy country lanes.. the rears feel like your driving on bump stops, I think cup springs and dampers is what you would prefer

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Spring rates are a very personal thing after all, perfection for one is like punishment for another. I would always try and go out in a car fitted with the gear you fancy if possible. Saves any possible disappointment after fitting!

my cooksports on new dampers were fantastic on Sunday :smile: Another guy there in a clio wasn't impressed with his Gaz coillies, no idea which ones they were though

Last edited:
I fitted new cup dampers, cooksports, pms top mounts and new cup wishbones, very happy with it
Same here (minus new wishbone) for me. Very happy. Good on lanes and found it handled well on trackday I did.
When I was querying the same thing, buy cup/Cooksport setup vs coilovers, almost everyone from past experiences recommended Cooksport for daily/occasional track use.
Id recommend it too.

clio 172 ph 2
After Mitch thought and listening to others I've just orderred cook sports and cup shocks all round. Although could have paid about 170 more and got gaz but too many mixed reviews. Only just bought my 172 a month ago as bit of a project, got it on the road today and it handles apaulingly , feels jittery and loose, so I'm guessing my shocks are already past it . Fingers crossed and just need to waitong for my deliveries now :)