ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gas bonnet struts install tips?

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
I've tried to do this on my mk3 and upon trying and reading various forums I think this is difficult to do on any clio due to the wings being plastic, so you can't attach the strut to it as it isn't strong enough. I'm sure there is a way you could achieve it though, but is it worth it?

Clio 172 cup
MWright let me know if they figure something out as i would be intrested. I think it would be worth it for my personal reasons which are my carbon bonnet hasent been fitted with any kind of stay at the moment and secondly looks good at meets lol.

TT QS
MWright let me know if they figure something out as i would be intrested. I think it would be worth it for my personal reasons which are my carbon bonnet hasent been fitted with any kind of stay at the moment and secondly looks good at meets lol.

I use a broom ;) lol!

It would be easier for us carbon bonnet owners with it being so much lighter

I use a broom ;) lol!

It would be easier for us carbon bonnet owners with it being so much lighter

Lol I'm buying some parts which should allow me to to use a 106 bonnet lifter ( i have a spare) and attach it just above the right bonnet hinge and underneath a bolt that holds the headlight cluster to the slam panel. I've seen a similar mod done on Forum-Clio

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
It's been done on here before. One I know of is attached between the suspension turret and wing. Drilled and tapped. Bolted down with a 13mm . Bonnet had a bracket tiger sealed on so the strut could attached to

I've now revised my setup.

Instead of a 106 bonnet strut, I now use a Renault Megane Scenic (52 plate) tailgate strut these are rated around 320N, although they have a shorter extension than the 106 strut, it has no adverse affects on the bonnet opening and closing.

py6utebu.jpg

8ytumagu.jpg

I'm still yet to properly sort the mounting of the upper ball joint to the bonnet, the bonnet frame/liner can't sustain the force the strut puts on it and causes the metal to flex so I'm working on that.

Once that's sorted it'll be done :)

how have you attched the strut to the bonnet?

I did have it connecting to a ball mount screwed directly onto the bonnet, due the the thin layer the ball mount can bend the metal. I tapped a hole but that didn't work out.

Trying a different approach now, that's when I have the time.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like your trying it the wrong way TBH. What you want is much smaller bonnet style struts, mount the lower edge forward, somewhere near the suspension turret, then mount the upper one to the bonnet hinge, so the strut is forcing the bonnet back, rather than up. Will make closing it easier too. This will work much better on a carbon bonnet as you are pushing the hinge, not the bonnet

Looks like your trying it the wrong way TBH. What you want is much smaller bonnet style struts, mount the lower edge forward, somewhere near the suspension turret, then mount the upper one to the bonnet hinge, so the strut is forcing the bonnet back, rather than up. Will make closing it easier too.

Trying a different approach now, that's when I have the time.

Mounting a strut your way would offer more stress due to the moment. I'm working further away from the pivot thus allowing me to work with lower forces this putting lower stress on the bonnet material.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
My idea wouldn't touch the skin, or even the frame of the bonnet.

ClioBonnetStrut.jpg

Couple of options there, one might need a trim to the bulkhead, the other would work with very slim struts.
With a small enough strut you might beable to keep it all far side of the bulkhead.

That's how most manufacturers do it.

Makes more sense now. Just need to find ways of adding the ball mounts securely and choose the right attachment thingy on the struts.

Also finding the right struts, right length, right extension and right force. Would be fun, I'm trying to work with what I've got.

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 114827

Couple of options there, one might need a trim to the bulkhead, the other would work with very slim struts.
With a small enough strut you might beable to keep it all far side of the bulkhead.

the blue strut one could work, have a bracket like this on the inner wing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-BALL...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19e95bd820

and mount the top of the strut on the hinge, vectra b bonnet struts could be the right size for that aswell as there quite short and cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171460104441?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

BG182 FF
The green one looks good. Similar place to where might car mods on YouTube put theres. They uses special mounting balls where you fixed down with a bolt however the ball joint was on the side not on top

BG182 FF
Me and another member have ordered parts and are attempting this tomorrow! If all being well a guide will be posted for everyone :)

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

View attachment 114827

Thats how the Astra gas strut works, see pic below.
2ikqt6r.jpg