ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaming Media / Online Magazines

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all.

I spend an inordinate amount of time on trains etc. and really enjoy reading sites like IGN & Kotaku to relieve the boredom. Joystiq is / was fairly good too (closing down soon).

What sites do you look at to keep up with games developments / reviews etc?

Mito Sportiva 135
The best gaming site for me, which is updated daily and contains possibly the best games interviews (period) is the Game Central section on the Metro website. The reviews are always very balanced (and non-biased like IGN) and have lots of info on more obscure games you wouldn't necessarily learn about elsewhere. I often read articles about games I have otherwise no interest in. The reader inbox is also great - although sadly doesn't contain the 'hilllarious' water comments you might enjoy on IGN...

However, the caveat is just go directly onto the gaming section on the website. Don't look at anything else as your eyes will bleed due to the b0llocks contained within

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Haha. The thing I like about IGN is the production value on their videos. The articles are normally ok but not interstellar. What has turned me off the website is the sheer amount of content they seem to want to publish just to keep people checking back into the site.

For instance there was an article the other day confirming that Mass Effect 4 would be nothing like Dragon Age Inquisition. Really??!?!?!?!?!!??! Who thought that was an issue?

Taken onboard re Metro. Looks good! Thanks mate.

Mito Sportiva 135
Metro normally has one feature and one review a day, with the inbox updated twice a day. Perfect reading on your lunch break!
I tend not to watch videos on IGN unless it has Naiomi Kyle in them...

Yaris Hybrid
Only sites I touch are The Escapist Magazine and IGN. At the moment they are the only sites that aren't involved in corruption, nepotism and have solid ethics policies. Yes I did say IGN - shocking I know!

I wouldn't use Kotaku etc to wipe my arse. They are everything you guys accuse IGN of being but multiplied by ten. A sh*tty click bait site.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I don't really know anything about the politics etc. I just like kotaku for their Japanese focus and slightly quirkier output.

Never heard of the escapist. Will give it a crack.

What do these other sites do wrong ethics wise?

Mito Sportiva 135
Only sites I touch are The Escapist Magazine and IGN. At the moment they are the only sites that aren't involved in corruption, nepotism and have solid ethics policies. Yes I did say IGN - shocking I know!

I wouldn't use Kotaku etc to wipe my arse. They are everything you guys accuse IGN of being but multiplied by ten. A sh*tty click bait site.
Even IGN (which I read) seems to be heavily 'influenced' - games they have exclusive previews on always seem to get favourable reviews etc

If you just said Naomi Kyle, it would be a lot more credible lol

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Seems I'm stuck with IGN at least for the while then ;)

I used to get the hard copy magazines when I was young and loved them! Doesn't seem to be the same effort put into online stuff.

I used to like Playstation Max. Was cheap and had a good cheats section IIRC and would give away cheats booklets.
Playstation_Max_Issue_1.jpg

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The old school mags were so much better than modern online content - I think that's partly because gaming has become so real and serious though, it's not like you're playing as a small dragon, or a man who's limbs aren't attached to his body anymore. Plus it's now such big business. I always find video game reviewers in videos annoying, because they're always the full-on gaming types; I want a representation of the game from the opinion of someone who doesn't have all the time in the world to play every game ever; real people - full-on gamers are normally too over-enthusiastic.

The old school mags were so much better than modern online content - I think that's partly because gaming has become so real and serious though, it's not like you're playing as a small dragon, or a man who's limbs aren't attached to his body anymore. Plus it's now such big business. I always find video game reviewers in videos annoying, because they're always the full-on gaming types; I want a representation of the game from the opinion of someone who doesn't have all the time in the world to play every game ever; real people - full-on gamers are normally too over-enthusiastic.

Yep, the problem is it all centers around money.

Back when it was magazine only, the companies had a direct source of income, now I imagine with just websites they source it through advertising or sponsors, and then that just leads to bias, to keep said sponsors happy.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, the problem is it all centers around money.

Back when it was magazine only, the companies had a direct source of income, now I imagine with just websites they source it through advertising or sponsors, and then that just leads to bias, to keep said sponsors happy.
Yeah, I think like Banther said also, there's not so much pressure when you're online only, it's easy to get lazy. If your content drops off in a mag, people will stop buying it and that's your income gone. With online, it was free in the first place, so they're not going to lose your 'custom' so to speak.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
IGN's videos need a revamp though, they're so bloody slow!

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah, IGN videos don't work quite often and often just some guys sitting around talking nonsense - not even scripted

Edge is probably the only printed gaming magazine I would still buy

Mito Sportiva 135
On a similar note, I can't believe we don't have any good games shows on TV these days. In the past we had things like Bad Influence and Gamesmaster, but despite games becoming more mainstream there isn't anything which springs to mind now.
You would think there would be professional games tournaments at least - there is so much rubbish on TV, this is something I would actually want to watch!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
On a similar note, I can't believe we don't have any good games shows on TV these days. In the past we had things like Bad Influence and Gamesmaster, but despite games becoming more mainstream there isn't anything which springs to mind now.
You would think there would be professional games tournaments at least - there is so much rubbish on TV, this is something I would actually want to watch!
Do gamer types watch TV? No point really.

Is there no TV style program that's like 30 minutes long once a week or fortnight or month or something like that online?

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah you may be right, I would watch something on TV if it was on though - but maybe those days are gone...

Gamesmaster was amazing though!

There are tons of tournaments, they're just all online on Twitch.

Why pay to broadcast when you can make money from broadcasting :smile:.

In South Korea they've been on mainstream tv for a few decades now!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Angry Joes reviews are pretty decent, he goes through various Genre's of games. Some good, some aweful.

Clio
Yeah you may be right, I would watch something on TV if it was on though - but maybe those days are gone...

Gamesmaster was amazing though!
I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. Something aimed at the more casual gamer a bit like Gamesmaster was.
I do find myself flicking on to GINX when there is nothing on. Its all a bit repetitive but kills half hour.
the first hour is annoying as hell with the presenters but I sometimes watch it to see if its my type of game.