ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Galaxy Fold

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Should I have watched the whole video? ?

So what covers the hinge then between the two "halves?" Or is it a flexible full display? Ohhh FFS I should of watched the whole video

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It's like anything tho, if your an early adopter you pay the price and as the technology matures the prices come down. Just like the 5g s10 will be a high amount but give it 2 years and all phones will have it.

So how comes phones have steadily got more expensive over the years?

I don't really even see the point in having a screen on the outside at all... it looks shite, just have a folding tablet. Might bring the price down. I think the worst thing is the screen ratio, they need to find a way to make it at least 3:2.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member

I don't really even see the point in having a screen on the outside at all... it looks shite, just have a folding tablet. Might bring the price down. I think the worst thing is the screen ratio, they need to find a way to make it at least 3:2.
They have got more expensive but the tech trickles down to phones that now cost £100 or so.
Could say that with anything though.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

Prices rise for everything not just phones. Fuel, food, houses etc. As consumers I guess we demand more from phones and phone manufactures try to innovate to sell devices and it all costs more and more. You can get a good phone like the Poco F1 for 300/350 and it has similar specs to more expensive phones. We don't need these high end phones it's just a want.

I really want to see it in real life before I make a judgement but I think it's going to be pretty awkward and big. I think there will be marking on the screen as well. It will be plastic so I don't think the clarity and quality will be that good.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I currently have an S8 and if you trade that in at Carphone Warehouse you can get £235 off so worth a look to reduce the costs. Would make my life alot easier to buy outright.

Sell it on eBay you will get way more than that !

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea you'll spend two weeks getting messed around by dickheads on eBay and then give up.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
looks terrible when folded. whats that massive gap all about?

If it folded fully flat it would crease/break the big screen eventually (still might TBH). I think it folds to 175 degrees or something instead of the full 180. A proper fold flat phone, with two slim sides is still a few years away.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Have to admit folded out it looks good but folded over in 'phone' mode it looks awful and that screen ratio makes it look even worse.

I'll stick to my £120 Galaxy K-Zoom rooted I think looking at that price, probably about the same thickness [emoji23]

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
If it's in good condition it's worth looking at CeX, I've sold phones there before and always got a very reasonable price.

Huawei's folding phone has leaked. Different approach to Samsung, could be better...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...huawei-foldable-mate-x-5g-phone-leak-mwc-2019

Yeah so... the Huawei looks far better!

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Apart from it will need to be in a cover as that plastic screen will scratch easily, I love gadgets and both of these phones excite me, but I won't be buying either I'll be waiting for a better version to come out. What I'd like is the Samsung version but with the same front screen, but scratch proof, and the same thickness and design of the Huawei, and no notch on the inner screen.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Got to agree Huawei have by far exceeded expectations on that one looks much better.
I've stuck with Samsung untill the S5/K-Zoom but the missus has had the updates after, I just stopped liking them with the Iphone looks.
In my eyes Samsung has started to drop of it's market leader spot.
Huawei is definately the one I'd go for out of these 2 hands down although I couldn't pay the price (I won't even spend that on a car[emoji23])

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Price is mental. But the tech will get far cheaper as always. Guess I’ll be waiting for the iPhone version in about 3 years.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The Mate X looks far better IMO.

It looks like it folds a lot thinner. 11mm Folded.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I bet the screen on the Mate X gets fucked up pretty quick from day to day use, probably a better idea to have it inside the fold like Samsung.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im not expert on these matters but... ;-)

in my head having the display fold outwards almost stretches the display and over time would that show?

on the Samsung folding inwards doesn't stretch the screen so would it stay in shape longer?

I know only time will tell, but that's how im seeing things at the moment

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I don’t get why Samsung had to put yet more cameras on the inside, I’d much rather have it without the notch, which I’m guessing is only there for the cameras.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I don’t get why Samsung had to put yet more cameras on the inside, I’d much rather have it without the notch, which I’m guessing is only there for the cameras.
I do agree with this

its so you can take a selfie when unfolded

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Because selfies are life bro

Plus the camera recognises things like shoes and food - it's basically designed for Instagram shysters.
With the phone unfolded surely the outer camera would be for shoes and food as the inner one will be facing the user. It baffles me that the design dept would pass that screen ruining notch design just so you can still take a selfie when using the larger screen.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I’d bet any amount of money that the fold 2 will not have the cameras/notch on the inner screen.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Did anyone see the interview with someone on the design team from Huawei saying they made a prototype product that looked like the Fold but decided against making it because it 'was not good' lol.