ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gains to be made?

Clio 1.6 16v VVT
Hi,

Hoping someone could shed some light because I can't really find much of an answer with the Search button.

I currently own a 1.6 16v VVT clio, on an 06 plate.

I am trying to find out whether a few modifications would be beneficial.

Apart from springs/adjustables I'm looking to see if there is any power gain to be made?

Looking for an exhaust most likely cat back that would fit, along with a panel filter? and a map from RS tuning.

I'm not looking for an extra 100bhp and I don't expect to see that sort of gain in the slightest, I just wondered if anyone had a rough idea or owned 1?

I only ask because the clio GT is 130bhp, what's different to them than mine? (110 bhp)

Thanks!

You probably will struggle to get near the 130 mark, I dont know what difference there is between the two, but you would have to think about intake, decat, cams, exhaust, and remaps.

But that won't be cheap, and by the time you have spent that money on the mods you could of sold the vvt and bought a gt 1.6

Clio 1.6 16v VVT
You probably will struggle to get near the 130 mark, I dont know what difference there is between the two, but you would have to think about intake, decat, cams, exhaust, and remaps.

But that won't be cheap, and by the time you have spent that money on the mods you could of sold the vvt and bought a gt 1.6

Ye, I was looking around, but I've not long bought this car so I can't sell yet lol!

I was thinking it would be a different manifold and probably mapped slightly different. I can't see what other major differences would be, they're both the 1.6 VVT version. Seems strange!

There's a good chance I'll keep the car for a while, eventually it will be boosted! That's a definite, it's just a case of getting it on a level playing field first

Listerine & Poledo
There's a good chance I'll keep the car for a while, eventually it will be boosted! That's a definite, it's just a case of getting it on a level playing field first

That's just throwing money away. Why no just hold onto the car, leave it as is then use the unspent mod money on a car that is quick out of the factory?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
why would you want to boost a 1.6 clio?? just buy a 200/197.

youll save money and have a much better car!

power mods on lower powered cars is a massive waste of money!! especially considering youll also (i hope) upgrade the suspension and brakes etc. but something thats already quick and enjoy it!

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Cheapest and easiest way to gain around 50 bhp would be to drop a 2.0l lump and box in. Try and find a whole car that's been written off and take the whole subframe, engine, box, shafts and hubs etc.

even easier than that would be to sell the 1.6 and buy a faster car to start.

Clio 1.6 16v VVT
Very valid points and I would be saying exactly the same thing as you guys if someone else had mentioned it! I was just looking for a few tweaks to be honest, something to give it a bit of a kick.

Surely there can't be much difference between this and the GT? Would a 197 Camshaft fit etc?... I enjoy it as a 1.6, it's much better on the fuel ;)

Clio 1.6 16v VVT
I know I know, I'm probably fighting a losing battle.

Just wanted to add a little more power, give it a bit more of a response, it seems dead up until about 4k.

There's surely got to be something that can be changed for a gain, manifold, exhaust, filter, map? Even then I would probably not add much power, perhaps a little more torque.

Just wondered if it would fit the same cams as the 197? without doing a complete engine change as insurance can be right arses about it

Listerine & Poledo
any modification you do will go on your insurance and lead to an increase.

seriously, tuning that car will be like sweeping water uphill

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Manifold, filter, exhaust and map will of course get you a few gains.....

however it will only be around 10bhp, and cost you about £800 to buy, and thats assuming you can fit it all yourself. and assuming youre quite a young driver it will hike your insurance astronomically. just pick your fattest friend and finger his sister, itll save you money and your car will be just as quick!

Fitting 197 cams may make a difference, but i dont think anyone can tell you as nobody so far has tried it. you may be about to find some thermodynamics wiz to calculate it for you but thatll probs cost you quite a bit! The cost of the cam, cambelt, labour and mapping will probs tot up to over £1000...for unknown gains.

The only mod worth the money to make small engined cars quick is strip the FCUK out of them, less weight is more BHP/KG. and it doesnt cost a penny.
Ive seen little stripped out 1.6 corsa's pace much faster cars on track because theyre so light (due to small engines and strippage), braking distances are reduced, conering speed is increased.

failing that, find a 1.6GT and actually do your own home work as to how the engines differ!! it might be just a few simple parts, but i doubt it!