ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Future 197 owner from Bristol

Renault Clio
Hi everyone.

Nice to be on the forums. My partner and I currently have an 05 1.2 clio which we are in the process of selling with a view to a 197. Originally we were looking at 1*2's however we've decided to go with the slightly newer one. From what I've seen the 1*2's are more fun but then we're never going to track it and on a day-by-day basis (epecially for my partner) the 197 is a more comfortable option.

Is there anything that we need to be looking out for? on the 182 I read that the belt should be changed at 36k and also to look into the water pump at the same time?

I can't seem to find anything on the 197 so hopefully you guys can help. I've searched the forums but a lot of threads seem to turn into arguments about which is better.

very funny, and hows a lot of passion which is good.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, looking forward to your help or some pointers in the right direction.

JT

Renault Clio
Howdy Bristol boys.

Steve'O, that car in your avatar isn't the one parked on Whitby road most days by any chance is it? Long shot maybe, but it's a small world and all that

Barge
The 197 is the same as 172/182: 36k or 5 years for aux, 72k or 5 years for cam - or at 5 years both together. However, it does specify the service intervals in the service book which should come with any car you look over/buy.

Service intervals are 12k. Oil change is recommeded every 6k (IIRC).

Welcome to CS.

EDIT: Acutually, new RS models Renault are saying the is 6 years or 72k miles. But there not great for communicating the actual service intervals in the dealers, etc. so just go with what it says in the service book.

Last edited:
  Megane 225 F1
Ahh another brizzle member. I'm not from Bristol. I'm to good for it ;) You may be looking at 197's for comfort, but their fuel economy is shocking apparently.

Any ways, when you do get hold of your new car, be sure to come along to some meets. :)

Barge
Fuel is down to how you drive it, Will. Sensible driving in my old R27 saw me getting 33 mpg - same as my 182 now. Motorway 36mpg.

They're very thirsty for their first 15k miles I'd say, after that mine got better and better. There are some low milers still out there but I'd be tempted by one with a few more on the clock if I bought one again, simply as it'd be more economic. Mind you, they aren't all the same, but I'd imagine a heavy right foot is the cause of a few peoples 'fuel economy' issues.

Megane 225 F1
Fuel is down to how you drive it, Will. Sensible driving in my old R27 saw me getting 33 mpg - same as my 182 now. Motorway 36mpg.

They're very thirsty for their first 15k miles I'd say, after that mine got better and better. There are some low milers still out there but I'd be tempted by one with a few more on the clock if I bought one again, simply as it'd be more economic. Mind you, they aren't all the same, but I'd imagine a heavy right foot is the cause of a few peoples 'fuel economy' issues.

My mistake lol.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
First of all welcome.
i look after a few peoples cars on here.
197 serviceing is cheap cambelt and aux belt is now due together at 72k or 5 yrs (some people dont have a clue)
watch out for rattly ones, exhaust rattles, front brakes can be expensive and so can be tyres, all the ones ive ever
seen are normally poor mpg. if you get a nice one there a good car really. watch out on the early ones as the gear boxes were poor
and going along the motorway there a bit buzzyyy as 6th ratio was too short.
also the sliver 172 you see in whitby road by BOC the chap isnt on here

Renault Clio
Thanks for all the welcomes and help guys. Makes me chuckle that there are a few of us yet I never see any around Bristol which is why I've gone for this over a Golf GTI, great cars but too common. Would def be good to head along to some of the meets and gain a bit of knowledge.

72K or 5 years isn't too bad.

Am loving your blue 225, we were having a look at one from Performance Direct but went against it. Was too expensive when we don't actually need a new car (I just want one lol)

Renault Clio
From St Annes, What about yourself?.

I didn't realise the Golf was cheaper to run, and they're bigger as well which I do live, but Golfs are everywhere now-a-days. Just have a look when your driving to work and you'll see 10, not all Gti's I grant you.

I suppose you could argue the same about clio's, but at least the RS series doesn't seem to be everywhere. Do see a few 225's around though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you're from St Annes, DO NOT go to Shitty motors.

I used to work there and its a shower of shite.

Renault Clio
We wern't planning to but good to know for the future Daniel. To be honest all the renault franchises we've been looking at seem to average £2k higher than elsewhere so likely buy private. I work in insurance so I can background check the car myself.

180.6Bhp 172 cup (cc)
Howdy Bristol boys.

Steve'O, that car in your avatar isn't the one parked on Whitby road most days by any chance is it? Long shot maybe, but it's a small world and all that

No mate mines lives in an underground near my work in the day :D