ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fusion I/O cards / high powered servers

CLS320 with a D6
Does anyone have any experience with Fusion IO cards or high powered servers? I've got a powerful server which hosts an inherently slow ERP system so looking for ways to speed it up.

I've heard the likes of Facebook and google use fusion cards so hoping they may be suitable?

CLS320 with a D6
Forgot to post specs

2 x intel e5-2690 ht'd
96gb ram
10gb x2 NIC
HP P240i 2GB FBWC SC
6 x 100GB 3G SATA MLC SFF HDD in 3 logical drives in raid 10
30GB of the RAM in a ram disk for the temporary working areas
Running 2008 R2 enterprise

dk

911 GTS Cab
you are already running SSD's though, fusion IO is designed to speed up servers using spinning disks or SANs.

I personally can't see how it would benefit you.

If that server is not performing with an app, id say its the app thats the problem, thats a pretty monstrous server for a single app to run on.

Need more details really, where is the bottleneck? where and when are you seeing performance issues?

CLS320 with a D6
you are already running SSD's though, fusion IO is designed to speed up servers using spinning disks or SANs.

I personally can't see how it would benefit you.

If that server is not performing with an app, id say its the app thats the problem, thats a pretty monstrous server for a single app to run on.

Need more details really, where is the bottleneck? where and when are you seeing performance issues?

The app is slow, thats the problem so I'm wondering if we're at the limit of hardware we can throw at it. Theres no real bottleneck we can see, network is fine at least 1Gbps everywhere with <1ms pings, server is basically dormant most of the time. The using of the app is just a bit painful, for instance some screen like the AR Invoice Tracker (probably the worst one) may take up to 15 seconds just to pop up whilst it caches the layouts from the server to the client and draws the screen up.

The Vendor is happy with the performance, but recognise its a issue worldwide and are working to get it faster. It's based on .NET with an OpenEdge Progress DB (which is blisteringly fast!)

What's the ERP system? Is it Oracle based?

Its Epicor 9 version 9.05.701 soon to be upgraded to 9.05.702A

​Anyone have experience with this?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Heard of them but never used them. If you're still getting slow performance from that server, then as dk says, the app is the problem.

Irritating that it's always the tech guys who are the first point of call when there's an app issue, always the bloody developers at fault ;)

CLS320 with a D6
Think we've done all we can then really. It's a bit frustrating as Progress is seriously fast. Can backup the DB whilst its being used in less than 4 seconds (DB is just over 4GB)

Fiesta ST
As IT guys we always have to prove it's not our hardware first, as long as you've monitored all the relevant counters and proved it's not the hardware and have logs as evidence that's all you can.

CLS320 with a D6
Exactly, just frustrating. Had a meeting with my acc manager of the vendor today and they are not using progress anymore :(

New version 10 is due out around September and only runs on SQL