ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny noise and smell! help Ben or Andy

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Help please guys, noticed my car was making a funny whirring noise (when stationary or driving, changes with revs) from the aternator/cam belt area (all down that side) and a weird smell also. First thought was that the aux belt tensioner had decided to go again but it hasnt. Had a poke around looking at the aux belt as i thought something maybe fouling it but it appears to be ok apart from some sound proof matting slightly rubbing on the big lower aux belt wheel thing (also the belt is over to the right hand side, i.e i can see a 1/4 of the wheel-been like that for a while tho i think) but it doesnt appear to be the problem.

The sound and smell suggests to me that a belt is fouling or something similar. Could it be anything else? Car seems to be running fine. I noticed the problem the other day, after a long journey...investigated cold also but noise and smell are still present.

bloody cars :(

cheers

Gary, Dont know if this will help but I had strange smell+extra engine noise coming from my 182 after about 6 months of having it (smelt a bit like burning orange??!) i couldnt see anything so took it back to renault and they said that one of the belts was "rubbing on the cam fazer" now I havent got a clue what, or where that is, or if its a prop out of Star Wars but they fixed it under warrenty :) and it sopped smelling and rattling....(the engine that is the rest rattled as normal)!

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Awesome cheers guys :-D

...Mike, is that the logo for your new venture mate? looks cool

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

sometimes the cambelt cover touches the aux belt... look for what looks like black dust around the belts....

Andy

yes i smell but ben is worse.