ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel Gauge Query

Clio 182
Hey I know this might sound silly but I filled my clio DCi today and the fule gauge was on one line above reserve, it only took 30litres to fill, till the pump clicked, which I clicked again to make sure. Started the car and the gauge indicated 1 line below full. So I tried a different petrol station up the road to fill it and it only took 65p. Is this is a fault or common issue that the gauge isnt indicating a full tank?

Thanks

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I think it’s a racing certainty you have a defective fuel sender in the tank.
They are quite east to check out as the wiring is on the outside of the tank and accessible from under the rear seat.
Pull the two (maybe 3) wires and use a short piece of wire or paper clip to short out the one that is obviously connected to earth, with each of the other two in turn.
One way the red low contents light should come on the other way the gauge will move up to the full mark
If that is the case, the sender unit is faulty.

172 cup'd extreme
sender itself is about £300 but easy to change as long as you dont have much derv in the tank

Clio 182
Oh my god. That is nuts. Better look for a second hand one. Whilst in writing a reply may aswell ask bout this other problem I have. The hazards lights dont work, I replaced the switch but still no joy. Any suggestions? Anyone know where the relay is?

Thanks

Oh my god. That is nuts. Better look for a second hand one. Whilst in writing a reply may aswell ask bout this other problem I have. The hazards lights dont work, I replaced the switch but still no joy. Any suggestions? Anyone know where the relay is?

Thanks

Check the connections on the hazard switch there usless plus second hand switches can be broken. There a common failure.

Clio 182
I replaced it with a new switch from renault. There is a black and white wire which has been put into the hazard wiring. I am going to check the connection to make sure it is ok. I didnt want to remove it incase this was for the alarm. Any ideas?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hey I know this might sound silly but I filled my clio DCi today and the fule gauge was on one line above reserve, it only took 30litres to fill, till the pump clicked, which I clicked again to make sure. Started the car and the gauge indicated 1 line below full. So I tried a different petrol station up the road to fill it and it only took 65p. Is this is a fault or common issue that the gauge isnt indicating a full tank?

Thanks

What's it matter if it doesn't accurately tell you whether the tank is full? The pump at the servo cuts out when its full. Its not work 300 quid.

It only matters if it doesn't accurately tell you when the tank is nearly empty.

Clio 182
Just going down the motoroway crusing at 70mph, apparently I was only getting 53mpg. Something doesnt seem right there. Is it due to the sender causing an inaccurate reading? Someone on ebay asked me to make him an offer on the sender before it goes up on the site, what price do you think I should offer for one which has come out of a car that has done only 20k?

Thanks.

Just going down the motoroway crusing at 70mph, apparently I was only getting 53mpg. Something doesnt seem right there. Is it due to the sender causing an inaccurate reading? Someone on ebay asked me to make him an offer on the sender before it goes up on the site, what price do you think I should offer for one which has come out of a car that has done only 20k?
The sensor doesn't do the mpg its the ECU which does that.

Check your real mpg agains what the trip says for a tanks worth of fuel.

Clio 182
ah right.Yeh, I am just so confused, now its up to 59mpg. I changed the oil the other day put semi-synthetic 10w40. Thought that might have something to do with it. I used about 4.2 litres, having been checking the level frequently to ensure its OK. I had a quote from breakers, £66 for a sender.(Linked to previous problem with gauge not showing full tank). You reckon its worth replacing? Theres so many little things I think I might send it to Renault.

ah right.Yeh, I am just so confused, now its up to 59mpg. I changed the oil the other day put semi-synthetic 10w40. Thought that might have something to do with it. I used about 4.2 litres, having been checking the level frequently to ensure its OK. I had a quote from breakers, £66 for a sender.(Linked to previous problem with gauge not showing full tank). You reckon its worth replacing? Theres so many little things I think I might send it to Renault.

I wouldn't bother replacing it are you sure the tanks realy full it can be a pain to fully fill them make sure you see the level and hake the car etc to ensure its full. Just going off clicks on the pump isn't enough.

Clio 182
I filled it in Tesco thought it was unusual that it only took 31litres. So I went couple miles down the road and tried a second time when it only took 65p. I think I might ask renault to have a look when it goes in tomorrow. Cos my hazard lights arent working and i just discovered a broken pink wire.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate your help