ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front top mounts dilemma

Clio 172 (CUP)
I have shot top mounts on a 172 Cup that need replacing. What with the cost ending up being nearer £100 for bothe side because if additional spacers on the new design, or I take a chance on non-OEM parts on eBay, plus the reports of badly seating parts when it's all together (poor desig ), I'd rather go straight to a PMS mount and strut brace solution.

Problem: will this still comply with the msa blue book for a road going series production class car....?

" Suspension 80.The suspension configuration must remain standard."

...of the attached doc.

Any hillclimb/sprint guys in the know that can help here...?

Cheers

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I'd e-mail the MSA. I always did as you then had clarification if someone kicks off but then someone competed in a Turbo converted puma and won trophies for years that didn't comply with the rules.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I'd e-mail the MSA. I always did as you then had clarification if someone kicks off but then someone competed in a Turbo converted puma and won trophies for years that didn't comply with the rules.
Cheers, trying that too. Might just take the chance. Thanks

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It used to be that if you didn't change the design of the suspension or move pick up points you were ok. If the top mounts are adjustable (i know nothing about the PMS ones.) that may cause problems as you are moving a suspension point.

Clio 172 (CUP)
It used to be that if you didn't change the design of the suspension or move pick up points you were ok. If the top mounts are adjustable (i know nothing about the PMS ones.) that may cause problems as you are moving a suspension point.
Sounds promising, I don't believe the PMS ones are adjustable, just spherical bearing bolted to body work

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Maybe fine then. I'd still get clarification if you are planning on winning awards or competing in a championship. Just in case! Most events organisers don't have the time to check. It's other competitors you have to watch out for.

Sounds promising, I don't believe the PMS ones are adjustable, just spherical bearing bolted to body work

Definitely not adjustable,
17A80F4A-3791-4A36-9567-E100CC4740E5_zpsdqqsdlij.jpg

Clio 172 (CUP)
Maybe fine then. I'd still get clarification if you are planning on winning awards or competing in a championship. Just in case! Most events organisers don't have the time to check. It's other competitors you have to watch out for.
Fair point, BTW your interpretation of suspension config is the same as mine
Definitely not adjustable,
17A80F4A-3791-4A36-9567-E100CC4740E5_zpsdqqsdlij.jpg
Thanks for confirming.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Puma I was on about fitted a DIY turbo kit and at the time the engine had to have that as an option or standard from the factory. Competed in road going production in a ridiculous 1800-2600cc class and cleaned up. Only beaten occasionally by a 1.8T Audi that was running silly power. People get away with all sorts at club level. If they were in modified then stripped out Clios running standard power would have munched them for breakfast.

Someone would have to have real sour grapes to pull you for top mounts!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I seem to remember the turbo rule was because induction was free. Probably changed due to the number of turbo cars now to allow older cars the option to compete.