ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

front shocks wrecked.... coilover upgrade or stay standard

2009 200 clio cup
hey folks

i have a 53plate clio 172 cup and like the title suggests both front shocks are totally fu(ked and i was wondering would i be better to upgrade to coilovers or get stsndard shocks the car currently sits lowered on springs 60mm i think also i was wondering if i upgrade shoulld i get solid top mounts from k-tec many thanks for your input

deek_172cup

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
There is no right answer really, if you want to upgrade, then do it. If not, then don't. It's your car, do what you want to do, there's plenty of choices available whatever you decide

SQ5
I would say the 60mm shocks have caused your for shocks to fail.

It depends what you want from the car and how much you want to spend. If going for decent Coilovers your looking at £600+.

If your using the car just for normal use or even occasional track use I'd happily buy new GENUINE front and rear shocks with some Eibach springs. I'd also do the ball joints and track rod ends for the sake of an extra £30-40 and probably the ARB bushes.

A new refreshed suspension system will feel brilliant on any ten year old car.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Was preparing my response in my head then I read Danny's. Nothing else to say other than "What he said" tbh!

Flame 172 (Ph2)
A friend of mine has just bought a 182 that came with Ktec coilovers already fitted and I think they feel fantastic on the road. Much better ride quality being complaint over really bumpy roads; no where near as crashy as my standard 172 FF suspension. Yet on the flats they really help to minimise roll alot.

Some may disagree, but I think if you are using the car mostly on the road you can not go wrong with these for £300 brand new! Plus you'll be able to get the ride height exactly where you want it.

172cup
yeah I have to agree with you, ktec are good for road and if you drive like a granny
they are just softer hence the slightly improved ride over cup shocks,
If you re going for a different look ktec is the way if you go, if you re thinking of fast road/track driving stay away from them or you'll f**king regret it

Personally Id fit Ktec only on a 1:1 scale model car

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Well surely for fast road driving (ie bumpy) a more compliant suspension set up (doesn't mean soft and bouncy) would be better? They certainly arn't softer than my suspension as my body roll is considerable where as my friends car barely rolls at all.

Or am I missing something?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
60mm is a small step too far on the standard shocks IMHO

If you want it that low put it on coilovers (not cheap ones if you want to handle and to last)

d6n

Ph2 172
My Apex springs have ruined my shocks. I love how they look, but i'm going to have cup shocks with eibach sportlines. As I don't want to spent £500+ on coilovers.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Ive been debating this for fooking months lol cos my rears are mullered but ive decided to stay standard but ive gone for Eibach sportline pro springs

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
My Apex springs have ruined my shocks. I love how they look, but i'm going to have cup shocks with eibach sportlines. As I don't want to spent £500+ on coilovers.

Exactly the same issue on my old 182 the apex ruined me shocks i was going to get coilies for my 172 cup but opted against it because ive heard lots of mixed reviews on many diffrent types of coilovers and setups :( plus the money side of it i'd rather spend on the engine

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My Apex springs have ruined my shocks.

Yes this is what I am saying, drop it too low on standard shocks and it just doesnt work properly, either in terms of ride quality or in terms of shocks lasting, they are too far compressed to begin with and dont have enough movement during which to damp.

I love how they look, but i'm going to have cup shocks with eibach sportlines. As I don't want to spent £500+ on coilovers.

IMHO cup shocks and eibach sportlines are the best available road setup for a clio without getting into the realms of more expensive coilovers (like the sachs etc) and they work very well on trackdays too, obviously not what you would use for racing, but for a car that wants to be an all rounder it works fantastically.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
plus the money side of it i'd rather spend on the engine

Decent suspension/brakes will make your car far quicker cross country than spaffing money on engine mods btw ;)

To the OP, ktec coilovers are good if you just want looks/nice ride. Personally, id go for standard OEM stuff combined with some eibach springs. Ive always been one to get a car 100% perfect as standard though - then modify.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Decent suspension/brakes will make your car far quicker cross country than spaffing money on engine mods btw ;)

Not if the money he is going to spend on his engine is doing a cambelt that is due now, to handle well it first needs to move, lol

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

To the OP, ktec coilovers are good if you just want looks/nice ride. Personally, id go for standard OEM stuff combined with some eibach springs. Ive always been one to get a car 100% perfect as standard though - then modify.

Defo agree with ya bud ive got brand new rear dampers and some sportline pros ready to be fitted next week do ya recommend polybushes and uprated mounts aswell lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Defo agree with ya bud ive got brand new rear dampers and some sportline pros ready to be fitted next week do ya recommend polybushes and uprated mounts aswell lol

Entirely up to you really, i always used bushes/mounts etc and never really had any problems, other people used aftermarket.

Preference i guess, but i saw no issue with standard, so didnt bother uprating just for the sake of it.

SQ5
A friend of mine has just bought a 182 that came with Ktec coilovers already fitted and I think they feel fantastic on the road. Much better ride quality being complaint over really bumpy roads; no where near as crashy as my standard 172 FF suspension. Yet on the flats they really help to minimise roll alot.

Some may disagree, but I think if you are using the car mostly on the road you can not go wrong with these for £300 brand new! Plus you'll be able to get the ride height exactly where you want it.

I can safely say your standard stuff was knackered if you think K-Tec coilovers weren't as crashy as standard suspension.

Clio 182
I am honestly struggling to understand why people knock these Ktecs so much. Just been out again and they handle great for fast roads - which are often bendy and bumpy country lanes. When it comes to B-roads, rock hard firm doesn't always mean better handling.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I am honestly struggling to understand why people knock these Ktecs so much. Just been out again and they handle great for fast roads - which are often bendy and bumpy country lanes. When it comes to B-roads, rock hard firm doesn't always mean better handling.

Have you drive a car on Sachs, Bilsteins, H&R or AST's, or even a fresh/new 182 on standard stuff?

Those who knock them, have probably experienced a better setup :)

Flame 172 (Ph2)
I can safely say your standard stuff was knackered if you think K-Tec coilovers weren't as crashy as standard suspension.

Really? It feels fine, just going over things like pot-holes and railway crossings it properly crashy which to me just equates to uncompliant damping, often the case with firm OEM spec suspension; where as my pals 182 on the KTec coil overs seems to soak them up much better, but offer less roll in the corners - so the springs will be stiff than my standard ones I guess?

Clio 182
Have you drive a car on Sachs, Bilsteins, H&R or AST's, or even a fresh/new 182 on standard stuff?

Well this is probably why I am struggling to understand why... I haven't. All I've got is past experience of throwing on lowering springs (30mm) onto standard shocks on previous cars which just make the ride rock hard.

Its a bit unfair to compair £300 coilover vs £600+ coilovers too though.

I think the Ktecs compete against Sportline springs + new cup shocks don't they really (which is more than £300 all in)?

Don't get me wrong here though, I'm not preaching - if there is something for me to learn, please do tell :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Id argue that Renault spent millions developing the chassis of the 1*2, & Eibach will have also done great research into the correct spring rates, etc to use with the standard shocks, both aiming to make the handling as best a compromise as possible for all types of driving. I cant imagine that Ktec did that with their coilovers (they might have, i dont honestly know), but it is more likely that they are a generic suspension kit/damper/spring setup, made to fit the clio.

Im the type of person that didnt really find fault with the standard setup though, didnt change it on my 182 cup, 172 cup or Trophy until May, then only really fitted H&R's to see how they compared to the Sachs.

Clio 182
Well I bought my car with the Ktec stuff already on - so can't honestly compare... none of us probably have the experience of all suspension set ups to truely comment, but that doesn't stop us - hehe!

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Id argue that Renault spent millions developing the chassis of the 1*2.

Or did they just throw in a couple of stiffening beams, an engine that barely fits and stiffer shocks and springs from the cheapest bidder? ;)

Its a recipe that's worked for french hot hatches since the 205 GTi, luck has it that they handle well!

2009 200 clio cup
ermmmm ok people i had a loom at the ktec coilovers and solid top mounts and being.close to christmas n the mother attwmpting to pull me into the green instead of being in my overdraft as much i will opt 4 them i dnt intend on doing track days had a bad smash a few years ago where i rolled a fiesta lucky to be alive tbh cae was a total wreck i take my time on the roads as i have 11 points aswell lol

Golf GTD Mk7
My fronts have started to leak, but don't want coilovers ATM. What sort of places refurb shocks? Or how much are they from Renault?

2009 200 clio cup
i phoned autoparts and they quoted me 165 plus vat each i tho7ggt with coilovers it replaces springs aswell al shocks at thw back too

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
cup shocks, eibach springs. whiteline arb. pure motorsport top mounts/strut brace. job done.

SQ5
Really? It feels fine, just going over things like pot-holes and railway crossings it properly crashy which to me just equates to uncompliant damping, often the case with firm OEM spec suspension; where as my pals 182 on the KTec coil overs seems to soak them up much better, but offer less roll in the corners - so the springs will be stiff than my standard ones I guess?

Standard is fairly firm, it sounds like yours has seen better days. The front are now 10+ years old more than likely too!

Megane r26
At the end of the day you get what you pay for with coilovers, I hear good things about the ktec jobbies for day to day driving but I think I would rather stick to standard jobbies. I ran Kw's on my old 172 after running gaz gha an the kw were awesome but again there pricey. I now run sachs dampers which tbh are bang on! As many have said I'd stick to standard jobbies an a set of eibachs, fitted them to other cars in the past for me an others an always thought they were perfect compremise for fast road driving an day to day an give a slightly lower stance.