ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front shocks sticking out.

Clio 172
Hello,

I have Eibach Sportline springs installed on my Renault Clio 172 with the default shocks.
A friend of my pointed out that the front shocks are sticking out in the engine bay, i have attached the images.
The wheels are pointing straight forward, is this normal behavior?

Alex

PH2 172
Hello,

I have Eibach Sportline springs installed on my Renault Clio 172 with the default shocks.
A friend of my pointed out that the front shocks are sticking out in the engine bay, i have attached the images.
The wheels are pointing straight forward, is this normal behavior?

Alex

A 5 to 6 mm gap is normal, but yours look a little more than this.
Read this thread, as you may have a mismatch of old and new components.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/standard-top-mount-differences.810985/#post-11476565

Clio 172
A 5 to 6 mm gap is normal, but yours look a little more than this.
Read this thread, as you may have a mismatch of old and new components.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/standard-top-mount-differences.810985/#post-11476565

Thanks, the garage only replaced the springs at first.
After that it was making noises and they replaced the top mounts, im guessing they placed the wrong ones?

Which one would you guys recommend? Is it safe to drive my car? I did go over the Nordschleife with this setup so im guessing its safe?

PH2 172
MODIFIED 8200867250 27mm nut spacer.png
Thanks, the garage only replaced the springs at first.
After that it was making noises and they replaced the top mounts, im guessing they placed the wrong ones?

Which one would you guys recommend? Is it safe to drive my car? I did go over the Nordschleife with this setup so im guessing its safe?

Please look at post 27 in the link.
There is only a safety issue if you get one of these with too many threads, but you would stop driving after 200 meters as the crash & banging is horrific.

Clio 172
View attachment 1340511

Please look at post 27 in the link.
There is only a safety issue if you get one of these with too many threads, but you would stop driving after 200 meters as the crash & banging is horrific.

Well im not hearing any noise but it is not giving me a great feeling that stuff has been assembled wrong.
If i buy 2 of these, will my garage know how to fix this? I do not know alot about cars but try to learn as much as possible.. Or maybe can i do it myself?
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Genuine-Rena...350888?hash=item2a33f575a8:g:WRYAAOxyXDhSglnA

PH2 172
Please take the top cap off and tell me what is underneath, the item above or a 17mm nut, possibly with a washer sitting on top of the 17mm nut.
I`ve looked at your pictures again, and suspect you have the original top caps fitted, which have the 21/22mm nut as part of the cap, not a separate nut.

monaco 172
I think that will only Fit the new style top mounts so you need to check what's on there at the moment.

It does look a little odd that, mine don't sit as high as that

Clio 172
Please take the top cap off and tell me what is underneath, the item above or a 17mm nut, possibly with a washer sitting on top of the 17mm nut.
I`ve looked at your pictures again, and suspect you have the original top caps fitted, which have the 21/22mm nut as part of the cap, not a separate nut.

This is what it looks like, you want me to take that nut off? Il try and do that tommorow if i need to do that.

Also the part where the hex key is suppose to be in is filled with some liquid s**t, they broke their hex key in there. Im already talking to them about them fixing what they ruined. Hate the garage, luckily i got a new one that does a better job..

PH2 172
MODIFIED TOP CAP WITH SEPERATE NUT..jpg
MODIFIED TOP CAP LH.jpg
MODIFIED TOP CAP RH.jpg
This is what it looks like, you want me to take that nut off? Il try and do that tommorow if i need to do that.

Also the part where the hex key is suppose to be in is filled with some liquid s**t, they broke their hex key in there. Im already talking to them about them fixing what they ruined. Hate the garage, luckily i got a new one that does a better job..

You have the old caps fitted, it would be interesting to see what is underneath, but I would not loose sleep over it, and you will probably have to wiz them off.
I took these pics of mine this afternoon.
The part number on the top cap is different to yours.

Clio 172
You have the old caps fitted, it would be interesting to see what is underneath, but I would not loose sleep over it, and you will probably have to wiz them off.
I took these pics of mine this afternoon.
The part number on the top cap is different to yours.

Thanks for the images, it looks like yours is at the same height..
Can i just remove the top cap without stuff going wrong? Probarly have some time for it this evening i hope..

PH2 172
Thanks for the images, it looks like yours is at the same height..
Can i just remove the top cap without stuff going wrong? Probarly have some time for it this evening i hope..

No problem removing top cap if the car is on the floor.