ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front ARB on a 172 cup - not as expected!

Clio 172 (CUP)
Can't for the life of me find a comparison pic on the forums or the net. Just striping the front corners down for a refresh, detached the ARB, pulled the mullered bush off the end of the ARB to find an old rusted nut and bolt, and the ends of the ARB being flat.

I'm now suspicious, is a flat end like this correct for a 172 cup? wondering if this has been swapped in the cars history. Anyone got comparison pics available?

Ta

u6ysa7uv.jpg

Clio 172 (CUP)
Looks rose jointed mate.
Had the correct bush (sleeve) over it and braced via the strap to the wishbone as per any other RS. The other side didn't have any bolt left in. (Pics below).

Just wanna check it's still the correct ARB before reconditioning it, otherwise I'll have to source the correct one.

Any advice much appreciated.

3u2a5y7a.jpg
a7u9urar.jpg
reqevade.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's nothing like the arb I've got on my cup. What's the diameter of the bar? It should be 25mm for the majority of the length and 23mm on the ends iirc.

It it looks like it's had one from a non sport fitted tbh.

Clio 172 (CUP)
That's nothing like the arb I've got on my cup. What's the diameter of the bar? It should be 25mm for the majority of the length and 23mm on the ends iirc.

It it looks like it's had one from a non sport fitted tbh.
Yeah that's what I fear, bloody cowboy previous owner. With verniers it's ~23mm along the body and ~25.5mm across the width if the flat piece. If you ends are different then that's enough for me. To be honest, they didn't look a snug fit at the ends before I took it off.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that's what I fear, bloody cowboy previous owner. With verniers it's ~23mm along the body and ~25.5mm across the width if the flat piece. If you ends are different then that's enough for me. To be honest, they didn't look a snug fit at the ends before I took it off.
Yeah that's not a cup item I'm afraid mate. The ends on any sport bar don't have those flat pieces either.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Therr the correct bushes. But weird why its a non sport ARB

How did it handle ? Cant imagine the ends sitting to well in the actual bushes lol

Clio 172 (CUP)
Thanks guys, off to the CS marketplace I go then ;-).

...If there's anyone reading this that has a genuine one please pm me.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Therr the correct bushes. But weird why its a non sport ARB

How did it handle ? Cant imagine the ends sitting to well in the actual bushes lol
Never really drove it much between buying it and starting work on it in the garage so can't say really. You're right, they didn't look right, actually it looked to short.

Many.
I doubt that'll be an issue. Just check it still has the front gearbox mount (can't be missed tbh, front of gearbox, onto subframe)

Any other non-sport items wouldn't fit without being noticed.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I doubt that'll be an issue. Just check it still has the front gearbox mount (can't be missed tbh, front of gearbox, onto subframe)

Any other non-sport items wouldn't fit without being noticed.
Thanks, I'll check tonight.

172 cup
The wishbone mounting points are drilled further out, the hole centres should be about level with the edge of the flat part of the frame when looking up from underneath. Also the lower gearbox mount needs the hole drilled out on a non sport frame.

Clio 172 (CUP)
The wishbone mounting points are drilled further out, the hole centres should be about level with the edge of the flat part of the frame when looking up from underneath. Also the lower gearbox mount needs the hole drilled out on a non sport frame.
I was looking at the wishbone mounting holes last night after reading something on here, but I couldn't determine if the holes were in the correction location or not. The information/pictures to hand weren't clear enough.

I'll have another look tonight. Cheers.

330i. E30 Touring.
I have an ARB from a Ph1 172 if they're the same?

Only in Chertsey too.

Yours for a tenner collected.

Many.
Ph1 ARB is indeed the same.

If the subframe is wrong, it'd poss have problems with Driveshafts too, hence why I think its unlikely.

Unsure why the the ARB has been changed though!

Clio 172 (CUP)
Ph1 ARB is indeed the same.

If the subframe is wrong, it'd poss have problems with Driveshafts too, hence why I think its unlikely.

Unsure why the the ARB has been changed though!

I'm hoping your right, but those wishbone hole spacings are worrying me, and I'll need to measure the lengths of the drive shafts etc. The hubs are correct, and the castor on the wishbones look correct to.

Regarding the ph1 ARB from Budgie (and BTW thanks for the offer), correct me if I'm wrong, but the bush sizes on Kam Racing's site suggest they are different....

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuni...-renault-clio-mk2-2-0-rs-172-182-phase-2.html

Clio 172 (CUP)
Well I guess this is conclusive then....

uvybysy3.jpg
a4ymatud.jpg
ve2ery8y.jpg

....so what does that mean for my set up, only a narrower track at the front or more draw backs?

172 cup
That's bad news, guessed that though because I wouldn't think someone would just fit a 1.2 antiroll bar. Get yourself a subframe and roll bar from a breaker, cup or sport they're both the same.

Clio 172 (CUP)
That's bad news, guessed that though because I wouldn't think someone would just fit a 1.2 antiroll bar. Get yourself a subframe and roll bar from a breaker, cup or sport they're both the same.

Incorrect track will be the main thing.

I'd get a proper subframe on there tbh.

That's what I'm thinking, I'd rather get it back to standard. Although I thought the cup has the wishbone holes in a different position, so not quite the same as the std 172?

Thanks for all the advice all.

172 cup
Another myth, I thought they were the same but asked Adam to check part numbers earlier and they are the same. What wishbones have you got?

Clio 172 (CUP)
So the only thing I'm unsure of without taking them out and measuring them are the driveshafts, unless their all the same length.

The tie rods and ends, and ball joints I'm refreshing anyway.

talk about a cow boy jesus!! unlucky with your problems mate, and as for the 'cup wishbones' dont thing there just on 172 cups as i bought a set of here last week got them start of the week only to find that i had a set fitted and my car was total standard when a bought it

330i. E30 Touring.
I have a 172 subframe also mate. Yours for a beer.... Normally goes to the scrappy so better it gets used...,,

Will do the whole subframe' Arb if required. PM me for my number

Clio 172 (CUP)
I have a 172 subframe also mate. Yours for a beer.... Normally goes to the scrappy so better it gets used...,,

Will do the whole subframe' Arb if required. PM me for my number
Cheers. I've PM'd you regarding the subframe.
They are the right wishbones deffo.
Thank God something is right lol, thanks for confirming.
talk about a cow boy jesus!! unlucky with your problems mate, and as for the 'cup wishbones' dont thing there just on 172 cups as i bought a set of here last week got them start of the week only to find that i had a set fitted and my car was total standard when a bought it
Oh yeah, would love to meet this guy again for a chat :mad:. I know I bought a cheap tatty car - but for a good reason, but it was supposed to be original!! Anyhow, I'll get this sorted and probably be a tart and paint up the replacement subframe and ARB too :rolleyes: