ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From a 172 to a 68

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
From a 172 to a 68.. LOL

I must be the worlds first to do this lol.. but hear me out. Im 23 and im earning 22k a year and I rent my own house. Yet im really struggling to run my 02 172. Since I bought it I have replaced tyres and the front discs costing £190. The tax is due end of this month which is £200 and the car also needs a new cambelt and aux belt as its nearly 5 years old which is gonna costs a minimum of £500+

Add to this insurance which £1100 a year, im thinking to my self WTF…. Driving the 172 im also much more likely to crash as I like to drive fast, and my insurance excess is £750!!!! I don’t have that sort of money either.

Im constantly worried that something’s gonna pop. I keep reading of horror stories where people have had to spend 1000’s on repairs, sometimes it keeps me up at night thinking about it.

Why am I spending so much of my hard earn’t cash on something to materialistic?

Went down to the Toyota dealership today and test drove an AYGO… yes an AYGO. Drives as good as you like and seen as my average speed to work is 15mph (and that’s not easy with the heavy 172 clutch) im thinking hell ye.

The AYGO is insurance group 1E (the lowest possible) its £40 a year to tax and can achieve 68mpg!!!!!!

So im going to trade my 172 FF for an 2006 AYGO!!! I bet all you 1.2 boys are hating me for this lol.

I have lived the dream of the clio sport but at this stage in my life im not prepared to pay for it any longer. I can afford to run it but I don’t want to. Maybe in thr future when im on better money I will go for a 197 cup or something.

Peace out my clio loving friends, rant over!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
It will be uber reliable and i will not have to worry about a single thing. I can also buy cheap crap fuel now, instead of the that over priced v-power rubish.

All i have to do is sit back and count the 1000's i will save! lol

Street Triple R
Ive been in a similar situation myself, although I found that when I got my slower car I was just craving a more powerful car again, only to get one and realise i couldnt really afford it...bit of a vicious circle really

Clio 172 mk2
Sometimes you have to make these choices so you can stay afloat financially

68mpg....now that is good going:)

good choice mate they look really nice cars and with toyota bullet proof technology you have done the right thing i think i would have got rid of my car many months ago if it wasnt for how much i owe on the thing wooops!!!

Sounds good to me, but wouldn't you be better of going for the C1 - same car, but cheaper (and they'll probably have some kind of cashback offer on)?

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Yes your right, it will breack my heart when i see saxo vtr's over taking me lol :-s But i have made my bed now. At least i can say 'i had a quick car' And i know what it takes to own one!

Ad

MK2 FRS
They are fooking ugly....

I tell you what Id rather drive round in the Citreon verion, at least you can console you self you paid peanuts for it.

Needs must i understand, I drive a DCi Clio 99% of the time but I can cope with that far more than some squashed toyota..

If you really want to save money I wouldnt bother with getting something new, I would sell the Clio and get something secondhand or a banger.

monaco blue 172 ..
you cant afford to run a 172 on £22k a year?..........something wrong there, even if you do rent your own house lolTHE CAR BEHIND ,will be A TOYOTA.lol

RenaultSport clio 172 mkI
Im on similar money and I easily run my 172. Difference is I bought it for £2800 and I pay £330 fully comp. for insurance. (Im 24 and have a HUGE HUGE HUGE mortgage). So no excuses pal !!!

What on Earth is that insurance premium!?! Is there something you're not telling us?

PS-I made the mistake of going sensible and it was dangerous. I'd get so bored of driving the bloody car; I wouldn't focus on the road at all. I have to be engaged as a driver.

Volvo S60 T5 asap
you could have got a 1.5 dci 68,82 or 100 clio ? lots of mpg there, and still a cosetting large slipper of a car.

Hang on...you're trading the 172 for a Toyota from a main dealer. Do the math here. You're set to loose a fortune as soon as you drive off the forecourt.

Buy and sell privately, but I would still reiterate my earlier post. Unless you have convictions coming out of your ears; there's no way you're insurance should be four figure sum. I get 35mpg, and pay 330 per year for a great/fun car. I bought it for next to nothing as well...so wheres the expense if you use your head??

Volvo S60 T5 asap
im on 11-12k a year at moment (just started at this place) I do 300miles a week getting to work and back, but could very easily afford to run a clio 172 or 182, insurance £370 a year, tax I think £155, + what ever a service is once a year. If I lived closer to where I work, I would consider a petrol. However I drive up and down the M1 (36-41) & start of m621 down to J36 m1 on way home. Doing this every day a petrol engine with 21mph/1000rpm, doing 75-85mph for that stretch would start to boom a little. That and I wouldnt get high 50's to low 60's to the gallon in a 1.9 or 2.0 petrol with 170bhp. Due to the 297lb-ft of torque, I rarely see the exciting side of 2750rpm. I would love a 172/182 or a type-r, but the fueling costs and low gearing for motorway journeys (best part of 250 of the 300miles a week I do, would wear me down a bit. I could once saved, even afford to run a 172 for weekends and a vrs on 11-12k very easily.

insurance would total £780 is for both car's for year, servicing say £350, tax £260, £1290 a year in annual costs, + fuel, 20-25 a week for work and back. 120miles a weekend say in a 172 at 30mpg. 4 gallons & about £16-17 in fuel. £1290 a year & £36-42 a week in fuel. £1870-2170 ish in fuel.

2 car's and all associated annual costs + fuel for one year = £3160.

leaving 8-9k for a mortgage at some point and living expenses.

No excuses with 22k income.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
seems like people are getting very defensive over someone actually selling a clio and not planning to buy another!!!

he's made his choice, may be different to what other people think but hey, its a good thing for him as he'll be saving money, whilst driving economically to the bank, laughing all of the way!

i think its a good idea, i love cars, and would happily spend all of my money buying and running one, however my sensible side says no! in 8 months i 'could' afford to buy and run a 182 clio at 18, but i wouldnt have much money for everything else!

good call, im sure you'll end up buying a cheap shed that is good fun to drive to have a bit of stress relief!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Buying Honda/Toyota is one of the most sensible things anyone could do to achieve completely hassle free motoring.:approve:

I had an Accord Sport 4dr in Red. It was easily the most chilled out car I could imagine. Used to hit the limiter all the time, it was soooooo smooth. Did 55k miles in it over 3 yrs - not a single problem.:cool:

My clio is a good little lad. Behaves itself, goes like stink, but you can tell when youre caning it. They do sound like they're going to drop to bits at high revs.

I'll probably get a Honda Civic Type R next, but then again my missus loves the Clio, and she wants to change her micra for one. His & Hers Clios eh?

By the way, the Micra is a 99T reg 70k miles and that never misses a beat - also no problems....say no more.

you cant afford to run a 172 on £22k a year?..........something wrong there, even if you do rent your own house lolTHE CAR BEHIND ,will be A TOYOTA.lol

And to everyone else who says £22k should be easy...

Different people have different priorities - not everyone wants to spend the same fraction of their salary on a car. IMO compared to most people who earn what I earn I've got a cheapish car, and it's certainly true of my wife: she's a doctor and drives a fecked Astra 1.6 on about 80k miles (worth about £2.5k) while most of her doctor mates have cars valued around £15k-£30k+.

We'd rather spend out cash on a HUGE mortgage (and have done :eek:) because it's the only safe place for your money. I personally think fuel slut's being quite sensible about this. Or they're being too sensible and not living a little LOL ;)

thats why i put a 172 bodykit on my 1.2
so that when i wake up in the morning all i see in my drive is a 172.
but really its not.

but i can dream cant i...

hehe

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
It all depends on priorites. I could run a much more expensive car than the 182 but choose not to. Why?

I like to save money into my savings account thats why!!

Fairplay on the lad trading in for the toyota. Good choice and sensible.

R35 GTR
It all depends on priorites. I could run a much more expensive car than the 182 but choose not to. Why?

I like to save money into my savings account thats why!!

Fairplay on the lad trading in for the toyota. Good choice and sensible.

I am on loads more with my new job and seriously considering getting rid of the 172 due to build quality and it's like a lottery with which part is going to break next.

I cant see many of the sports being in one piece in 10 years time, they will just fall apart.

Now I have money , I dont want to spend it.

none, just walk
mate ive been just where you were, i had a 172 and i was having the exact same thoughts, i couldnt afford the 172 at 200 p/m, then got rid of it for a new shape focus thinking i would be better off, cheaper tax petrol insurance etc, but i hated it, it was just not me, i felt like a old man, the moment you realise u have made a mistake is when you pull upto the pictures and see all the young lads in there sporty cars what u used to have and then you start to think could i really not afford it? but got rid of the focus now im on a mini, but cos of neg equity im paying £300 p/m and although its cheaper tax insurance, im not getting no where as near as much petrol as the 172, ive had to spend about £700 tarting it up (new rims, superchip lowering) just so it looks anywhere decent, now im finding myself not being able to afford the mini so im thinking about jacking the lot in and getting a bog standard 1.2 something and getting a bike again, that ways ill have the speed if needed and also the practicality of a car, yeah ill hate the speed of the car but hopefully ill be a bit better off money wise, i know what you mean about driving around and worrying about something going wrong, problem is, if you buy a second hand sporty car thats a bit older, i just think the only previous owner may of driven it hard and then traded it in when the warranty ran out and ill be left to pay the bills.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i was even considering a fiat panda diesel! lol (may go and test drive it after i talk numbers bout the 197)

Sometimes you think, you would like to be doing 50mpg+.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
im on 11-12k a year at moment (just started at this place) I do 300miles a week getting to work and back, but could very easily afford to run a clio 172 or 182, insurance £370 a year, tax I think £155, + what ever a service is once a year. If I lived closer to where I work, I would consider a petrol. However I drive up and down the M1 (36-41) & start of m621 down to J36 m1 on way home. Doing this every day a petrol engine with 21mph/1000rpm, doing 75-85mph for that stretch would start to boom a little. That and I wouldnt get high 50's to low 60's to the gallon in a 1.9 or 2.0 petrol with 170bhp. Due to the 297lb-ft of torque, I rarely see the exciting side of 2750rpm. I would love a 172/182 or a type-r, but the fueling costs and low gearing for motorway journeys (best part of 250 of the 300miles a week I do, would wear me down a bit. I could once saved, even afford to run a 172 for weekends and a vrs on 11-12k very easily.

insurance would total £780 is for both car's for year, servicing say £350, tax £260, £1290 a year in annual costs, + fuel, 20-25 a week for work and back. 120miles a weekend say in a 172 at 30mpg. 4 gallons & about £16-17 in fuel. £1290 a year & £36-42 a week in fuel. £1870-2170 ish in fuel.

2 car's and all associated annual costs + fuel for one year = £3160.

leaving 8-9k for a mortgage at some point and living expenses.

No excuses with 22k income.

Are you earning 11-12k after tax? I can't see how you can live on 8-9k a year if you have to include your morgage.

The average person spends £2190 on food year, £800 on utility bills, around £1000 on council tax.

So that leaves you with about 4k or £80 a week to cover other hidden expenses. And i dont think you have taken into account income tax, national insurnace and pension which would be roughly an extra 30% off your income.

So from this you can see that your car is consuming a large part of your wage and does not allow you to save any money for the future. I find this pointless and would rather save until i can afford to waste money.