ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Found a power run graph in the service history (pic)

Monaco Blue 172
Just sorting out all the service history of the car into some kind of order and came across this

IMG_42371_zpsf706b4df.jpg

ffs, can't get it to the right rotation....link here.. http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx343/clintmarcel/IMG_42371_zpsf706b4df.jpg?t=1395679858

It's a 2003 Ph2 172, does this graph look okay?

Any thoughts welcome

Cheers!

Monaco Blue 172
Is it just me, or going from 144 to 160 quite remarkable?

I remember reading that 172s never made 172 and were often 140 to 150, so not that worried about overall numbers, but does anyone 'in the know' know if that graph looks sensible?

Other than inlets, no other mods that I know of, airbox is standard.

From what I've seen the average 172 is around 165bhp at the fly.

This says 161, although it's on a K-Tec dyno and they're no renowned to be the most accurate..

Inlet's wont really make any difference to the outcome also.

Monaco Blue 172
I was of the opinion matched inlets would make marginal difference.

I'm by no means technical at all, don't know one end of an engine from the other, however, is it me or does the graph look a bit 'all over the place' ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If I had to guess I would say that the cam timing was out causing it to lose a lot of power, which would happen for 2 reasons:
1) its not flowing enough air due to the cam timing
2) its still putting in the amount of fuel needed for correct cam timing

I would therefore personally have checked the cam timing, what it *appears* (and it is guessing without asking them) that they have done is instead map it for the wrong timing, thus correcting the symptom not the cause.

So if it gets timed up properly now, it will potentially (if my guess is correct) still not make the power it should due to the fact the map has been optimised (I use that word in the loosest possible way given who did it) for the wrong timing now.

If that was my car, I would check the cam timing as a first step.

Monaco Blue 172
Hi Chip

Thanks for the technical response. Any ideas on cost and whether it's a worthwhile exercise. I guess getting the cams timed properly will mean a new map required.

I've just had the cambelt done, but (guessing again) I assume the garage will have just locked the cams in the same place?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No the garage if they have done it properly should have used the proper renault tools and set the timing to where it should be, so now it should just be a case of putting a sensible map on and it being ok.

Thats IF my guess as to the problem is correct, and it is guesswork.

Monaco Blue 172
No the garage if they have done it properly should have used the proper renault tools and set the timing to where it should be, so now it should just be a case of putting a sensible map on and it being ok.

Thats IF my guess as to the problem is correct, and it is guesswork.

Chip,

I trust the mechanic who did the cambelt change, but can you map and check?

whereabouts are you and is it something you do? I'm not actually after a headline figure as it's not a track car if that makes any sense?

cheers
pm me details if necessary, thanks!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry mate I only do work like that on my own cars. I'm contracted full time to a manufacturer doing software development.

Mike woodford in Staines is highly recommended. But that's a big trek from you :(

Monaco Blue 172
Cheers again (ps you should go to bed earlier)

Maybe I can tie in a trip to Mike Woodford with taking the kids to Legoland? Hmmmm lol!

Or maybe, just maybe, I should be grateful for what I have. Oddly, the car feels quicker than the 160 suggested, i'm wondering whether the cam timing, new injectors and leads done not long after the power run may have rectified it thinking about what you've said.

It feels much faster than a couple of 182s I drove before buying this one.

Eurgh, you know how it is though, you just want to 'know' what's there.