ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

For those that have relocated their batteries..

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
I've done endless searches on battery relocation and am struggling to find a neat distribution block that the stock fused +12v fits into..

If you have a good solution can you please post pictures and links to where you got your distribution block.

Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've done endless searches on battery relocation and am struggling to find a neat distribution block that the stock fused +12v fits into..

If you have a good solution can you please post pictures and links to where you got your distribution block.

Cheers
Unfortunately mate there isn't one, or I'm certainly not aware of one. All assuming your on about the fusible link - which I'm pretty sure you are.
Best thing to do is cut it off and use a new terminal on it. The fuse is only there for if your 12v + supply goes direct to earth. I don't run one on mine.

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Yes that's right! I've seen distribution blocks with the sides cut off and all sorts and it's just not nice.. I'll probably do as you have done and chop it out then.

Then just prey I dont get a direct short! 🙈

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes that's right! I've seen distribution blocks with the sides cut off and all sorts and it's just not nice.. I'll probably do as you have done and chop it out then.

Then just prey I dont get a direct short! 🙈
Just make sure your wiring is nicely secured and if in doubt, cover it in something to help protect it in the worst areas.

It's only there for a front end impact mate in my opinion. Sparks and fuel don't really tend to be a match made in heaven! Lol!!

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Yeah sound job, thanks! I'm gonna have a mega fuse next to the battery at the back and run into a distribution block at the front so all the wiring should be protected anyway.

Thanks for the advice :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah sound job, thanks! I'm gonna have a mega fuse next to the battery at the back and run into a distribution block at the front so all the wiring should be protected anyway.

Thanks for the advice :up:
Yeah mega fuse is the way to go mate. Don't go too big on the fuse size though. 175amp should be enough. I think that's what's on mine tbh.

Also, get the longacre through panel connection. Very good and not expensive. Mine runs through at the passenger side of the bulkhead.

No worries! Happy to help! :up:

Clio 172 (CUP)
Here's how I did mine, connector block in original battery location, new battery behind passenger seat (although I need to relocate it further back as the passenger seat is to far forward)...

4e1fb64c98f8af70cbf0f4cc32b01ea0.jpg

6d9cf2375d0c6a072c48264bd3f76ae0.jpg

27b687929d263317f8469923348b45e5.jpg

2673af7e05d5864cff2513daa8dde878.jpg

Clio 172 (CUP)
BTW, I went with a three way block purely due to the size of existing mega fuse and cable termination, as I didn't want to snip them off. It just squeezes in on an angle. I can dig out my parts supplier but they're fairly common components.

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Yeah I noticed it was a three way! Thanks for the reply! Like you say all those bits are readily available.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Wheres best place to earth to when in the boot?

I earthed to the earth point at the lights n got slow crank and clock reset so mines bk under the bonnet atm

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

I earthed to the earth point at the lights n got slow crank and clock reset so mines bk under the bonnet atm
Just make a fresh earth point mate and make sure the metal is clean. Mines earthed out in the thread for the passenger side seat belt and I have no issues. The size of the cable will also have a big impact on the cranking speed.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Just make a fresh earth point mate and make sure the metal is clean. Mines earthed out in the thread for the passenger side seat belt and I have no issues. The size of the cable will also have a big impact on the cranking speed.

Cheers will have a look asking a mate of mine to rip out the live n earth from a bmw lol

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Cheers will have a look asking a mate of mine to rip out the live n earth from a bmw lol

That's exactly what I've got! Got mine out of an e36!

Started with the relocation this evening. I intended to put the pc680 behind the passenger seat but my mark fish motorsport seat frames won't facilitate that so its now going in the spare wheel well. Will be earthing off one of the old isofix/seat bolts.

There is a threaded hole about 3" from the rear light earth point, from memory i think its a 13mm bolt, just get a file and clean the area, maybe use a small penny washer to make a solid connection...job done.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
There is a threaded hole about 3" from the rear light earth point, from memory i think its a 13mm bolt, just get a file and clean the area, maybe use a small penny washer to make a solid connection...job done.

Cheers will have a look its a daily drive so no rush but want the bat gone as there ugly to look at lol

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Ran my cable from the boot under the door sill plastics. New hole and grommet through the passenger well (ft wheel and arch plastics removed) up under the washer tank (wipers removed) and into the fuse area. 25mm2 automotive cable.
IMG_0894.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH2 172
Why not use a decent circuit breaker over a fuse ? Easier to reset a breaker than replace a fuse when out and about, should it pop!

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Good idea that. Will ask the sparky at work. Probably cost more for a CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 (CUP)
Just to follow up on my install, might be useful to someone reading this in the future.

After going with a lower seat sub-frame on the passenger side, and with a fire extinguisher already installed closely in front of that seat, the position of the seat ended up too upright and uncomfortable. I couldn't move or lean it any further back without it hitting the battery cage. So with a couple of strips of alu I managed to gain a couple more nches and without having to drill more holes into the floor pan too. It also makes the battery easier to unbolt and remove if needed (as its bolted to the alu strips which are in turn bolted to the floor pan). This gave me enough space to get the fixed seat into a better position and angle.

1bb798bb9fa1870440c91ab5551d358a.jpg

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ah I see. Is it worth having something like that? Relocated mine a while ago and when its standing for a few weeks I tend to just disconnect the negative.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Ah I see. Is it worth having something like that? Relocated mine a while ago and when its standing for a few weeks I tend to just disconnect the negative.
This is just an electronic version of what's needed to meet MSA regs (mechanical switch being the cheaper alternative), but it is useful to trigger it when I leave the car stored for some time. I still have to top up the battery on the charger/conditioner over longer periods though, the electronic isolators do still consume a v.small but constant trickle of current when in the triggered state, but these disconnect both +ve and -ve when doing so.

8a92f373a3c593a3c1527a7864220aaa.gif

http://www.cartekmotorsport.com/battery_isolators.html