ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flooring it off the line...

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Hello all,

This has been bugging me for a while now... I've got a flame red 02 172, built in April I think.

Say I was at a standstill, brought the revs up to 3k, and released the clutch and floored the accelerator in an attempt to spin up the font wheels, my car makes a loud-ish grumble and the tyres don't spin up.

I pull away with a bit of a squeak from the tyres.

Now, I've got a mate with an 02 172 but in monaco blue (the first 4 digits of the reg plate are the same) and his just spins the front tyres up straight away.

What is it on my car that is not on my mates?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Will need a new gearbox in a few weeks to be fair.

Could be the tyres?

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I've got a years Warranty that expires in Feb so I'm not too worried, but I want to know what it is.

If it's the gearbox I'd of thought flooring it in any gear would cause the noise? It's only when I try to light the tyres up.

EDIT: What does traction control sound like? Anyone got a vid or is able to provide a vid? I *might* get chance to do one to compare.

out of interest, y are you trying to do this? Because of the "grumble" or you just generally like wheel spinning away from traffic lights?

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I didn't think "I pull off and I hear a grumble" would provide sufficient detail to find an answer to my problem :/

I'm just providing an example of when this noise occurs, I didn't say I do this all the time. Do you have an answer to my issue?

visualize whirled pe
I would say that is slightly unusual. Are you're doing launch starts regulary? That won't do your car much good.

I have nearly new tyres on the front of mine and it is very difficult for me to pull away even from a junction at anything above 2000 rpm without spinning the wheels up and making me look like an idiot, the springy clutch doesn't help.
I can back off the throttle only for them to spin again when I accelerate, 1st gear is usless for getting away from a junction quickly I snatch 2nd straight away.

It's even worse when coming out of a junction on a hill where you increase the revs before pulling away, infact this happened yesterday with bone dry roads.

Now that's just a 1.6 16v, although the wheels are 14", which probably isnt helping

sounds like a clutch problem to me. i've only driven Cups (which are a bit lighter - not sure how much different a FF might be to launch; probably not much) but they don't need many revs at all to get them going as quickly as you're going to - excellent traction imo. 3k would just make a mess in mine; does the car 'bog down' and what are you doing with the gas pedal after you've brought the clutch up?

Monaco Ph2 172
Sounds like traction control to me.

God knows why you are trying to spin the wheels anyway! :p

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I was trying to do it as my mates would. Has anyone got either

A) a 2002 172 with traction control?
or
B) a video with traction control on?

I had a 2002 with traction control. If you have it, you will have a button down by the dash dimmer switch by your right knee.

But, why the hell would you want to wheel spin your car?

53 Clio's & counting
i would say 100% traction control,if clio tc works the same as most other cars it will be the abs cutting it to control the wheel spin,isnt there a button to switch it off?

You don't have it then.

So in that case, you may have a problem with clutch or gearbox. Mine will spin in 2nd in the dry flooring it.

R35 GTR
I had a 2002 with traction control. If you have it, you will have a button down by the dash dimmer switch by your right knee.

But, why the hell would you want to wheel spin your car?
believe it or not the most efficient way of getting a car off the line is have a small amount of slippage.

Mate, if you've got traction control (integrated in the ESP on the Clios) then you will have a button to switch it on and off.

If you don't have a button, you DON'T have traction control.

And no, in the vid it doesn't sound like traction control, it sounds as though something's shagged. Traction control cuts the engine power, and when it happens if you're flooring it, you no it's happened as it throws you forward.

BMW M135i
Can't really tell from those videos but I could go along with missfire from the noise I get, certainly isn't ESP thats for sure.

If the ESP light doesn't illuminate when you turn the ignition on then you haven't got it, some of the very early ones had none switchable esp iirc so you'll have it but not have the button to turn it off.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Well I know for sure I haven't got clutch control as I took my mate out in it today to football (Pee on here) and dropped the clutch at high revs and it lit the front tyres up pretty well.

When we got back we had a look under the car and the undertray is not fixed on properly. The bolts are there but the tabs are not slipped underneath, and it's fairly wobbly. Could this be the cause or am I clutching at straws?

I'm going to phone my garage up tomorrow as I know them pretty well and take them for a spin in it to see what they think it is.

I used to hear a grumbling noise when I floored it pulling away usually followed bya sharp pain in my left knee..... Oh wait that was the ex missus! lol

Sorry for the spam post, the mention of 'grumbling' when pulling away gave me flashbacks!

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
I used to hear a grumbling noise when I floored it pulling away usually followed bya sharp pain in my left knee..... Oh wait that was the ex missus! lol

Sorry for the spam post, the mention of 'grumbling' when pulling away gave me flashbacks!

lmao! glad you traded her in!

Titanium 182
mine used to wheelspin quite often by accident but now it just feels like my clutch is slipping :S its horrible iv been driving like a gran ever since it happened because i cant afford a new clutch and renault wont pay for one even though its only on 26k =(

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I'm taking it to my garage this lunch and hopefully take him for a spin in it to show him.

When we looked under the bonnet last night we could rock the engine slightly, I guess this is normal?

Also, I think my exhaust is blowing :(

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Well I went to my local friendly garage and went out for a ride in it, with him driving. He put the car up on the ramps and we both went under the car.

He checked the engine mounts and they are fine.

However, the exhaust engine mount is broken. It's basically resting on the bracket and the mount is cracked all the way round. He reckons this is making the noise.

He also found the boot on my CV joint on the front right had come off and has completely caked the inside of my alloy in gunk.

So in summary I need a new..

- Exhaust (I'm on the lookout for a K-Tec Stealth system)
- Exhaust mount
- CV joint boot

Where are the best places for the above?