ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flock doesn't like temperature change

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Anybody else with a flocked dash had the problem where when it's cold the flock shrivels up, it's only on certain parts of my dash, where it's the harder plastics - the lower dash and steering column surround. Once I've been driving for a bit with the heaters on it's fine again. This is obviously due to the plastic expanding and contracting with the changing temperature, but I didn't think this would effect the flock.

I'm guessing it's maybe down to the adhesive I used, just wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Did you flock it yourself? How well did you prep the surfaces? Did the dash used to get regular silicone to make it look nice before flocking? Both of these things will stop the adhesive from adhering properly..

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Yeah I flocked it myself, I cleaned it all thoroughly and sanded it all before i started. The top of the dash is fine, it's just the lower parts.

I've never used silicone on it, not sure about who ever had it before me, I bought the dash to flock and swap for mine, just in case it didn't go to plan. Does using silicone make a big difference?

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Yeah nothing in the world sticks to silicone! It sounds as though you made a decent job of the prep but with an unknown history on the dash I’d hazard a guess at silicone! There shouldn’t be any other reason why what you are experiencing would happen!

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I might try taking off a small piece and re do it, re re clean, re sand etc, see if that gets rid of anything remaining on the dash. Really dont want to take my dashboard out again D: