ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fli ICE install.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
I've got a sony CDX-GT530UI CD player wired to some FLI 5.25" inch front door speakers and FLI 6x9's. But i've just bought a 12" FLI sub, and thinking about getting another and making an ICE install in m boot.
Don't have a clue about amps at all.
Ideally would like FLI loaded amps, but i dont have a clue which one(s) i need?
Theres a 450w 2 channel one, a 4 channel 900w one or a mono block 1000w one.
Any help appreciated,
Cheers d-5tar1991

Clio 182
I've just done my Fli install but with the loaded 12" sub so can't really offer any (useful) advice on the sub.

Although, wiring it in was probably the easiest install I've done. Lots of space in the passenger footwell gromit for the power cable, even cable clips running to the fusebox to run it in. Door runners unclip really easily with no broken clips.

I've got the 5.25" for the front too, I'm thinking about being lazy and just straight swapping the speakers on to the existing cabling/crossover.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Haha, good effort.
I thought about getting a loaded sub, but the box takes up alot of room, and i need my boot space.
So i'm gonna build a sub box either side.

I did that with the front door speakers. ;)
No point changing the cables if they're already there.
The only thing is, i cut the ones that connected the rear speakers, so i could power my 6x9s...
But i think i'm gonna get some FLI rear speakers eventually,
So will i be better running the 6x9s off the head unit or an amp?
Cheeeers,

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if your going for a sub in the boot, id advise you dont have 6x9s at all,
in they're most common application, theyre pretty much useless.

the rear speakers are easy enough to wire in, just run two wires either side to the connectors.

i wouldnt bother going for an external amp for the rear speaker, the amount of extra wiring, and space taken up by the amp far outweigh the perks, also it really depends on the speakers your using. for the likes of fli speakers, id say its a waste of money.

at a quick glance. the 12" flis offer 300wrms at an impedence of 4 ohm, so you would be looking at a monoblock around the 800wrms @ 2ohm range for the amp, the wire the sups in paralell to create a 2ohm load. i wouldnt personally bother getting a stereo amp for subs as theyre not designed to be abused in such a way and you dont listen to bass in stereo anyway. dont be fooled, a single channel amp does not mean it can only take one speaker, it simply means it only creates one signal, which can be split into many speakers providing the wiring is correct. make sure you match the amp to your speakers, or it will sound shat! id try and find a jbl 1201.1, rated 1114wrms @ 2ohm single channel. It would laugh at most subs you would use and is amazing value for money. (if you can find one nowdays :()

another point, dont be a n00b if you get another amp and simply split the power wire into two, because you will create a draw thats too high for the wiring. im guessing from the ease of fitting you used 8awg wire. personally i wouldnt use that for anything, so update your wiring to 0awg asap if you plan on going big. (and 1kwrms counts as big)

HOWEVER personally if you want to get big into your audio, i would sell the fli sub complete and start looking at some higher end gear. Hope this helps.

Renault Clio 182
Personally I wouldn't recommend 6x9s if you're going to have a sub in the back.
The sound from the speakers will be affected by the air pressure exerted by the sub behind them.

This is what I'm looking at getting in my car when I can.

A nice set of component speakers at the front, something like DSL, rainbow or alpine speakers and a nice 12" sub at the back.

Get a 4 channel amplifier, something with a fair bit of output, bridge two of the channels to power the sub and use the other 2 channels to power the components..

If you want extra rear music fill, I would suggest powering a pair of coax (in their original place) off your HU.

The sound stage and quality will be waaayyy better then what you're thinking about getting...

But to answer your question about how to power the 6x9s, it would be better to power them off an amplifier.