ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

flat wires coming out of steering wheel?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
guys, I need to extend the wires insid emy wheel.
there are three flat encased wires in here (two for the airbag)

what is the compsition of the wire, are they just two encased wires, or is it some sort of multicored flatwire?

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Bozo.
I made a start this weekend on my steering extension,
and found exactly the same thing, the 1mm flat cables are a REAL pain, not only in stripping them but also soldering.
I stopped before I ruined anything...
Have you any tips on doing the job easier.??

'10 Clio200
Have you checked my guide, mate?
Wires are a super slim flat layer of copper. For peeling the best thing to use is a cutter, patience and maybe some heat to melt the plastic cover and end with the copper wire looking nice. As for soldering on them I didn't go that way, but it's the best option for sure.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I burned the coating off after taking off the protective guard., using a tinned soldering iron......this makes sure the wires are tinned in the same go.
i used a small bit of wood to lay the wire against......to ease the removal and make sure i didn't burn anything......

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
How did you remove the protective guard off without slicing through the thin wires, flippin heck its fiddly....