ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

flat spots.. have I got one..?

Foz turbo S & a 172
hi all.

I have heard people mention 'flat spots' that need a tweak to sort out.

What are flat spots? (in my bmx days it meant smoooth tarmac..)

Having had the motor now for 5 weeks I've noticed that in 3rd, at 5.5k revs.. the engine seems to not perform when
accellerated - like for a semi-fraction - like an auto limp blip - but is then sparked again at about 6k or if I change gear..

..Is that what I have?

cheers

Longi

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I think you are referring to the (circa) 5,000 rpm "kick" which the standard cars have which is perfectly normal.
It is like a light jolt through the car and I hated it.
The flat spot is lower down the rev range (2nd gear) where the car seems to bog down and need winding back up to get it going.
Get hold of an RS Tuner unit and apply the RON98 map to your car (assuming you use super unleaded in the car).
This map gets rid of the flatspot and the silly jolt at around 5,000 rpm and makes the engine feel tighter (or torquier).
It also improves cold idle if you have issues with that.

Foz turbo S & a 172
Great info.. ah, so the flat spot, I think I know what you mean.. I'm getting to realise how much my car (the full fat vers) doesn't like being in low revs! There is even a dull, one-off largish-sounding knock that can be heard from underneath when in 2nd in low revs in about 1 in 4 occurences.. What the hell is that! Thats for another thread when I investigate more though!

To pick up the petrol comment - should these cars be ALWAYS run on Super? On my pre-buying reading I understood it that UK ones were fine in standard.. Am I harming the engine..?

cheers, L

RSTuner remap sorts out a lot of low-down torque + responsiveness!

And you are absolutely fine to run it on standard petrol, though I find mine runs smoother on the Tesco Momentum stuff.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
No, I don't think they have to be run on higher octane fuel but I believe the 182s (and possibly all of the Renaultsport Clio range) have a sticker in the petrol cap which states use RON98 so it is recommended. I guess it must be there for a reason. Not using it shouldn't cause damage but it may not perform/run as well.
Bear in mind that you probably get slightly better fuel consumption with higher octane, so there probably isn't that much in it costwise.

These cars really love (or need) revs to get them going. It's a typical normally aspirated engine trait.

Foz turbo S & a 172
RSTuner remap sorts out a lot of low-down torque + responsiveness!
And you are absolutely fine to run it on standard petrol, though I find mine runs smoother on the Tesco Momentum stuff.

..OK good, thanks. The map will have to wait though.. I'm on scheduling the Family Forester Turbs in with JollyGreenMonster to map it to the deCat & td04 I'm having fitted post MOT next week.. 280bhp for the missus - I do spoil her!

L

Foz turbo S & a 172
..have a sticker in the petrol cap which states use RON98 so it is recommended. I guess it must be there for a reason...These cars really love (or need) revs to get them going. It's a typical normally aspirated engine trait.

..I hear what you're saying there..the sticker is in the cap..I fill up once a week, in that case, perhaps every 1 in 3 weeks with Super..?

L