ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat battery - something left on overnight??

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I am having a right mare with my electrics atm.
Went to go up the shop and the battery is flat. Reads 12V but can't check what the voltage is underload as my housmeate isn't in. Also have to wait to bump it and try and figure out if the battery needs replacing.

But yesterday I was playing around with the rear fogs (they are now working) but not sure if I have changed something that would drain the battery. The only thing I did was remove and swap the rear light clusters, had all lights on for about a minute checking them, removed two fuses and replaced them, moved the car 6ft but left the engine running for about a minute after.
When I turned the ignition on yesterday after removing one of the fuses the service light came on and it also said I had no oil, which is wrong. Turned it off and on again and it gavea good reading. Today it was fine. (Can't quite check the oil level as the car isn't level, thats why I wanted to move it!). Could removing one of the fuses reset something and left running overnight? It was the wiper fuse I removed along with the fog lights.

But also spoke to my step dad and he did say when he used to have the car the battery did used to go flat if left for a while, but it was his track car so it would be left for weeks and not overnight like it is now as I use it everyday. Hopefully it is just a dodgey battery as I really CBA to do anything with it or the 12mile ride to work in the cold, damp and dark mornings on my road bike while it is off the road.

Will do a few more voltage readings (underload and charge) when my housemate comes home in a few hours after it has been bump started. But any other things to check while I am waiting people can think of?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Bump started and now she is working!! Battery looks like it needs replacing.
Turning over the voltage droped to ~3V. Then when it was going the voltage reads ~14V so the alternator isn't broke. So I now need to source a new battery and fit that!

renault clio 1.4 16v
something may still be pulling the battery down though, if u have a multi meter do a draw test to see how much the electrics is drawing when the car is off (do not fire up the engine while reading the draw as you will blow the meter) my tracker alarm has a lovely habit of blowing itself up and flattening the battery after a few hours every now and again... the draw should be between 10 and 15 milliamps, anything over that and you may have a problem...

Mec 350 slk manual
Stick a new battery on , I had this car was running fine all morning went to use it and the dash lit up like an xmass tree change the battery never had a prob

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Started fine this morning and after work today. But got a new battery anyway just in case. However....I do not have a 9mm spanner to take the old one off :tired: need to go and get some spanners tomorrow, or wing it until the weekend until I get to go home to my parents to use the tools there. The adjustable spanner or mini socket set I have is too big to fit in the gap between the battery and ECU