ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flash to accompany Canon 10-22mm

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Is the Speedlite 430EX II my only choice? Its my first flash purchase, I asked for help at Jessops, he really wasn't very clued up.

Quite fed up of the shadow created by the 10-22 when using the built in flash.

Megane
I had the same problem with the built in flash.

The 430EX II and the 580EX II both have built in wide angle diffusers which seem to work ok, especially when pointed up slightly

The white catch thing on the 580EX ii is quite nice because you can point the flash up and the light bounces off it quite well.

Cupra
The wide angle diffuser on the 430 only takes it down to 18 mm for direct flash. Bouncing it off a ceiling or wall will generally give far better results which means that the Metz flashes will also be usable.

You can also get diffusors which go over the flash head which send the light out 360 degrees. They are no more than £10-15.

Are you going to be using it for anything specific or just general shooting?

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Well the wide angle is HUGE, in comparison to my other lenses (50mm/18-55). Its general shooting (parties etc), nothing specific at the moment. Although I've been invited to take some photos at a club opening (Indie Night). Needs to be able to deal with that I guess.

Any views on the 270EX?

Oil Burner
Its a surprisingly good flash, although i did get quite a lot of stick in the media centre for using it lol.

It isn't very good at diffusing the light however, which is fine if your shooting 22mm portraits or something. But if your shooting 10mm your going to get a big hotspot in the middle of the frame.

I think a 430 with a diffuser on it is your best bet. You can normally pick them up used for not a whole lot. A shadow being cast off the lens is just part of using a wide angle in my experience. I will ask Ryan to come and comment as he shoots flash a lot using a wide angle, so probably has the answer.

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
3rd party flashes have been known to cause error99 issues on more than one occasion.

Personally I started with the 430EX, something I wish i didnt do. I was going for the 580 and got told I wouldnt need it - I shoot in music venues at least 2 times a week and sold my 430 as I didnt like it.

Plus points are the built in bounce card - (i personally dont use a stofen type diffuser)
Using it as a master
weather sealing (if any events are in the rain)

However the 430exII is greatly improved over the mki. It now has the decent locking mech over the twist dial which used to annoy the hell out of me

Last edited:

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Thanks Ryan, are you able to post a pics taken at a wide angle with your flash?

I've got budget for the Canon Flash, hence not looking at 3rd Party ones.

Lol @ shooting upside down. Bet someone will try it?

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
I did. @10mm.. Shadow created is at the top of the image. Decent temp solution :approve:

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
well all my recent work has been with the 16-35 on the mkiii.

Thegallery3007.jpg

Mos150510-131.jpg

Thegallery230410-224.jpg

Sugardolls31109-202.gif

TheGallerys14thbirthday-35.jpg

If you are shooting live bands you will find a fair few dont want flash photography. High iso Low F number is key here. Ive posted music based images as it seems that is what you want the info for.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Scweet.

I will be doing a few like this behind the DJ, but apart from that its more like indoor family stuff.

May take the dive this week for the 430EX II.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I use Jessops own flash, ive had it for three years. Its its not skipped a beat. Its the 360AFDC.

I only ever shoot one type of photo with it, thats for my estate agency. Internals, bouncing off the walls and ceilings. It has a built in diffuser, and bounce card thingie.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Had a little play with the 430 & 580. 580 has extortionate prices new. Taking the dive next month!

(@ Ryan - I'm surprised that everyone hasn't commented on the girls!!)