ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

flame red PH1 172

a quick hello first, my names stu and a few of you may know me from my epically OTT 106 build, the almighty "rattlebox":

Photo1056.jpg

Photo1057.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/slammed106/?start=all

this has temporarily been put on hold as after driving a few "beginner cars" (1.0L 106: aka-the 3 stud assassin, and a 1.4 polo:aka- the PLOP!) she has built up a few years NCB it was time to introduce the bird to the world of overtaking, after looking at a few potentials i heard a friend of mine (matt@ TDF) had this for sale so after a quick test drive a deal was struck and the missus had this:

4378464261_a5609063ed_b.jpg

4379220594_06c30ea86c_b.jpg

as some will know this is warrens old car (some others on here may well have owned it too) it has some tasty bits..

KWv2 coilies
whiteline rear ARB
TD pro race (something) alloys
v6 airbox
momo steering wheel
momo recliners
yozza stealth system and decat
camber bolts (wound all the feckin way in!)

some other bits-n-bobs lower engine mount.. hids..

in an effort to get this a little more "everyday car" we had a drive down to hatfield to collect a full interior (leather and alcan)

so these got took out:

Photo1077.jpg

and a return to renault lovelyness!

Photo1072.jpg

Photo1073.jpg

a few suprises!!..

the rear cards that came with the car had some HUGE alpine 2ways strapped in so i dremel`d the new 3/4`s so they fitted nicely and wanged them in

the new 3/4 cards from Hatfield had some E-drive? alpine 2ways in there so they have migrated into the front doors

the bird did a good job of stripping the door cards off! she might even have a talent for this spanner lark!!

we then sat down and wrote a TO DO list:

*drivers side Apost trim needs securing
*resistor needs banging into the steering wheel airbag circuit to kill the SERVICE light
*needs a bonet stay clip for under the bonnet
*bumper lights seem inactive
*need an aerial adaptor for my old headunit
*drivers side skirt has popped out of the clips and is gaping away from sill
*a bit of flaked paint on the front bumper needs painting
*the hands free kit has left 3 screw holes in the dash that needs repairing
*theres a stereo stalk behind the steering wheel but i`m guessin i need a certain connector and headunit so that will have to wait
*personally i think the steering wheel is too small
*windscreen rubber trim has broke on 1 corner

and that is about it...

in time i might replace the TD`s with some std 172/OZ rims done in antracite but the more i look at it and drive it the more i like it.. the birds smitten with it so think all the trick bits may well stay...

first batch of purchases:

(i`ll include part numbers where i can as they may be useful for someone)

windscreen seal kit - R77 01 478 235 - £21-20
bonnet stay clip - R77 03 179 077 - £1-44
throttle cable - R77 00 815 667 - £24-59

also got:

rear seatbelt clips (that poke through the rear seat base)
Alpine headunit

and fingers crossed..

the correct little box of electrickery to get the clio stereo stalk operating!

ok...

first confused issue!!!

had a look underneath the ol girl at the weekend and found out why the bumper lights seemed a bit lacklustre in working..

theres nowt fecking connected to them!!!!

i had a quick nose around but couldn`t see any stray wires so now i`m confuzzled!!

should these fire up with the fogs?? or are they wired in to the main headlights??

am i not looking hard enough for the wires or have they been "reworked" to get the HIDs working on the main headlights???

any thoughts????

cheers for the kind words...

rigt.. just had a quick word with Matt @ TDF and as usual he provd to be bloody helpful!!

he`s under the impression that the car never originally had fogs in the bumper which would explain the lack of wires so.....

seeings as we live in deepest darkest fenlandshire i think it`d be best to hook them up to the main beam (by means of a relay and there own fused circuit) and use them for full on late night backroad attacks...

okey...

after a few conversations it would seem that the fogs aint any use for proper lighting duties so after confirming the stalk in the car is intented for fronts i`ll knock up a bit of loom to get them working as mister renault intended...

stereo:

managed to get the "connect2" box fitted in and got the stalk working the headunit but after 5 or 6 failed attempts to get the player and all the wires in the hole i got angry and broke out the dremel in an attempt to get a bit more room for all the wires..

out came this!:

Photo1088.jpg

the wires were tucked underneath the unit and bobs ya uncle:

Photo1087.jpg

all thats left then is a few tarty bits some paint on the font end and it can be called into uty!!

hahaha yeah without spending £££££££ i don`t think it could be massively improved on.. suspension wise its pretty much bob on for a road car..

i think work may be "donating" a bucket full of stainless nuts and bolts so will replace them as i do stuff/get bored in the engine bay..

lol you been for a rip in this too???

managed to drill the rivets out holding the drivers side sill moulding off and get that clipped back in so it sits tight to the shell..

Photo1106.jpg

the drivers side Apost trim also recieved a couple of hefty whacks and that seems to be clipped in tightly now...

i then undid the steering wheel and banged a resistor in the airbag connector and were now running with no SERVICE light!!!

i also junked the centre trim of the MOMO wheel and replaced the bolts with some countersink ones.. oddly it makes the wheel look slightly bigger.. to me anyhow!

Photo1108.jpg

None :(
What size resistor did you use? The two i used in mine didn't do the trick, i think they were 3.5 ohms.

errrrrrr

i couldn`t tell you tbh... its 1 i found that had been wired into the seat airbag cicuits by a previous owner, (brownbear maybe??) i can whip the steering wheel off tommorrow and either check it or make a note of the coloured bands if ya want???

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They're 10 ohm iirc.

Good work on sorting out the niggles though, they;re really satisfying to do!

None :(
oh no it's cool, i know i need more ohms, so i'll buy a 10 and a 5.5 and a 7. Only 5p each, i was just curious to see what you used.

managed to wangle some twin core wire, a waterproof double connector and some adhesive lined heatshrink from work then stopped off at local motor factors and grabbed a couple of bulbs for the fogs!!

the bumper was took of and whilst doing that i noticed a bolt was missing for the trim piece under the headlights, after trying to wind a bolt in for 5 minutes i noticed the captive nut behind it had broke off!! "je suis une ****" as they say in dieppe..

no big issue though as i had a handful of these useful threaded clips:

Photo1116.jpg

2 new bolts and washers and tha was done:

Photo1117.jpg

wrestled the bumper off and got busy making up a piece of loom to connect them up to the 2 feed wires, decided to hardwire into the lights (rather than try to find some renault connectors) clip the loom all up to the bumper and then put a new connector in behind the passenger headlight..

Photo1120.jpg

Apologies to Matt (TDF) it wasn`t raychem lol but i DID remember to put a smear of silicone sealer either side of the wire where it goes into the light to prevent and moisture gettin in!!!

and then like all true godly beings i uttered the immortal words..

LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Photo1119.jpg

after 10 seconds nothing was on fire or smelling so it was declared a sucesss!!!!!

well its been a while since any updates for 1 simple reason...

the car was pretty much dialled in when i got it...

however.... during my hols on the isle of wight... DISASTER!!

2nd gear refused to engage.. going from 1st into it and going from 3rd.. nuffin!! just a wierd kcking sensation as the stick tries to pop back towards neutral...

so in times of clio trouble i did what i always do....

-" hello TDF"
-"hi matt... guess what? i`ve broken the clio...."
-"hahahahahahahahhahaha" (this went on for some time..................)

i`d already consigned myself to a box out job so i had the concise TDF 30 second run thru of what to do and was given a phone number for a refurb place that Matt uses...

now i know there are cheaper options, breakers.. car being broken on here.. ebay (some of which offer a 3 month waranty) and if the car was being sold in the near future its probably what i`d do..

BUT!!

i like the car.. the bird LOVES the car and it`ll probably stay in the fleet until it either rusts away or i stick it in a field.. so the job may aswell be done properly!! i`ve used the quick fix before in the past and 99 times out of a 100 it comes back to bite you on the arse.. so its a complete overhaul!

PROPER JOB!!

so.. i`m now off to catch a bit of the the BMX nationals in peterborough then its home, get the car down the shop and get the box ooot!!

stay tuned for future updates most likely including...

"poxy french shite"
"bmw`s are easier"
"where does this connector go"

and

"just got back from having stitches in my finger"

holla!!

hmmm

not the update i expected...

mid drive to the worksop whilst waiting in traffic resulted in a clunk and a splutter... followed by.. 2nd gear re-appearing...

many many expletives.. some in fact i beleive to be new profanities!!!

so i now have 5 gears again...

poxy twattin french shite......

well... er.......

not sure update is the correct word but heres whats been going on in the past few months and today..

the birds been using it as a daily commuter and its been faultless...

went to Trax and en route found myself behind a mates 200clio (sorry marshall.. your diffuser offended me) the Ph1 is quicker than them new overweight 200`s..

as for today..

dropped it off with Matt Faulks @ trackgroup and its now sporting a new MOT.. on the drive over he commented just how good it was (a testament to the work Warren/Fred put into it) and the only thing he`d be tempted to change would be stiffer engine mounts..

might look into these.. depends how my proper hot hatch project goes...

once again thanks to Warren and Fred for building a good `un and the stirling service from Matt@ Trackgroup...

finally done a job i`d been putting off for AGES!!....

ever since the missus has own the car tbh...

the Yozza back box has been rattling like a p**n stars headboard.. and after Marshall followed me to Trax and declared it to sound "bloody horrible" i decided it needed investigating..

so, back box off and with the end seam ground down i was able to pull the end plate orf for a closer look...

i cleaned her up with a flap wheel and some brake+clutch cleaned and fired up the tig..

what happened next i wish i had video`d...

fumes from the brake and clutch cleaner must have built up inside and upon my arc`ing a 12" flame lept out of both ends and i soiled myself... luckily i had my screen down so as soon as i realised i wasn`t on fire started giggling like a 6 year old pyromaniac...

anyhow.. stitched the tube back in place.. welded the end cap back on and refitted it...

NO MORE RATTLE!!:

and the flamer is back to its roarty Va-Va-Voom best....

Last edited by a moderator:
aye.. "the social club" makes jobs like this a hell of a lot easier... i`d also never be able to build my project either.. (in between fixing the birds clio!)

i cant take any credit for the car though.. its still as Warren + Fred left it...

another little update.... managed to get over to TrackGroup for a RR bash...

took the opportunity to strap the birds motor down and see what was happening.....

2011-10-29115206.jpg

the engine rocks too much for my liking so may well look at some stiffer mounts... other than that... she`s a strong `un!!!

2011-10-30101100.jpg

a few pics of the day here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/slammed106/?start=all

and a few videos of other cars on my youtube thing : slammed106

supreme thanks to Matt @ trckgroup, and Spanky for strapping duties.... and of course Fred/Warren for building such a good car that i`ve been lucky enough to get hold of...

Last edited by a moderator:
god damn... last update end of october...

slackest blog ever ftw...

a few points...

the hankook V12`s on the front have finally slipped into the world of "naughty" in the eyes of the law (not bad for 18 odd months), now replaced with toy T1r`s..

despite a rattly dephaser pulley the ol girl still pulls like a good `un and on a return trip from TDF went toe-to-toe with a 55 plate "supercharged" corolla (it later turns out these have 215ish bhp, i didnt know this at the time ad thought some boyo had jut thrown a kompressor sticker on) now i can only assume these are measured in japanese bonsai horses as by the time my speedo was reading an indicated 145mph i`d pulled 3 or 4 car lengths on him...

the cars now ready to go back to TDF for belts/dephaser and months of neglect and abuse can carry on again.....

stu

T1R`s are on, seem ok, they`ve passed my most critical of tests:

*round
*black
*keep the air in
*tread deep enough to keep the rozzers happy

so thats all good...

today has seen me over @ TDF, and a MASSIVE thanks goes out to Al...

as diagnosed by Matt, once the belt was off the dephaser was confirmed to be absolutely bolloxed, probably a tooths worth of play,

so...

Dephaser pulley
Belts
Camshaft oil seals

er...

some other bits i think.. (i cant confirm a list as i was undereath Al`s 172 fitting a decat (what an awkard b*****d to get the 2 sprung loaded flexi joint bolts!!) and fabricating a hybrid "bitsa" exhaust system...)

top service, rattle gone, peace of mid for a few more miles.......

another quick update for the slackest blog on cliosport...

the boot refused to unlock the other day, and a quick call to Lord Faulks @ TDF confirmed my fears - "yeah they do that" was his reply...

so..

seats down, torch in my teeth, torx driver in hand we had the trim off and the boot open...

when i pressed the keyfob the solenoid thing defintaly sounded like it wanted to do something, after a few minutes of poking i determined that to "lock" and "unlock" the boot the solenoid should fire the mechanism in and out, all mine was doing was clicking...

i removed the white coloured solenoid/motor assembly and was comfronted wiith a big black cog and a tiny brass cog,

at this point i made an error...

i pressed the key fob and in and instant the black cog fired off and disappeared under the car... ****!!

after retreiving the bits it became clear the black cog has a spiral groove in the underside and as it turns the mechanism moves in and out, a cotton bud with white spirits and a dollop of plastic friendly grease and it was back together and working again...

happy days!!!

next job on the list is to re-instate the isofix bar behind the seats as the missus is up the duff and practicality is needed.. yozza + coilies however will NOT be removed!!

balls!!

ive f**king broke it......

noticed a few spots of oil this past week on the driveway, had a look underneath and yup, oil everywhere.. so i cleaned it all off with brake+clutch cleaner and used her for a bit in an effort to find out where it was coming from....

today i noticed anything over "spirited" acceleration caused massive clutch slip, and when i got underneath it was dripping like a p**n star after a bukkake event...

the sump still looks dry but its pouring out from inside the bellhousing, so either that bit of sump gasket or crank seal...

20121230_105943.jpg

20121230_105910.jpg

so, new clutch kit, new sump gasket, new crank seal, new flywheel bolts, new oil, new filter....... basically a b*****d expensive bill!!!

hoping TDF will have time to fit it in, if not M+W in wisbech will get the job...

Ouch mate thats not good :( Hope you get it sorted! I've noticed some oil mist around the seal on my new engine but decided against changing it, i'm hoping my decision is not going to bite me on the arse!

Meh... Goes with the territory.. The cars been hammered by Warren/Naith/Fred/Faulks/Me.. Pretty sure MrHunters been in it too..

At the end of the day its a mechanical thing and mechanical things break -FACT!

Everyday use may get years out of it... Spirited use may get months... Racing and hooning gets weeks.. Haha ya just suck it and fix up when it lets go, cos sooner or later things will let go...

Haha the rattlebox is progressing, engine loom is done i beleive, there was an issue with the injectors (gsxr1000 items) as they dont use a std plug, luckily i found the original suzuki loom so reused the factory connectors..

Tbh its all been a bit back of my mind these past months, my sons 7weeks old now so its been chaos here for a good 3or 4 months gettin things ready and then gettin in a routine with him...

Will press on with it next year, bought a few bits that sit here but thats all...

Likely culprit appears to be the gearbox input shaft seal...

Whether that has gone on its own or as a result of the input bearing going causing excessive stress on the seal.. Who knows! Either way it was fooked so new box on today along with new clutch and all seems good..

No clutch slip and an indicated 145 on the way home.. That'll do!!