ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Flakey" Blue Golf GT TDI Detail... Some afters...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Firstly apologies, after reading this back I don't half get carried away!

Anyway...

Hi guys apologies for the small write up, lack of before/during pictures.

I always take pictures of afters even if I don't get any befores and after using my new camera (Lumix FZ38) on this one the pics came up half decent.

The pictures seemed to show up the pearl and the colour really well.

The colour looked utterly fantastic in the shade and the sun so I thought i'd post up the process with some afters anyway.

Something I usually dislike, ironically. :p

Anyways...

Degreased with a pump sprayer and surfex HD 1:10

Had a small sample of Chem Guys "bugger" so same process as the Surfex.

Brought the car up well.

The customer did inform me he does look after the car, although swirls and RDS were evident, the car was "clean" looking.

Wheels with variety of brushes and some Autobrite Brite gel (still a favourite) and surfex HD on the tyres.

Heavy pitting left but as an enhancement there would be no further action required, the silver in the wheels was back better than ever and me and the customer were happy.

Washed with 2BM, Eurow mitt and my favourite BTBM. Round the car with Surfex and a nice Swissvax brush getting all the nooks and crannnies.

A good 2 litres of Tardis used, I knew the car was rough contaminant wise so took a lot of car using the Tardis before claying.

A lot of people as discussed recently use a quick blast of Tardis and then clay. Sometime not even a de-tar.

From my own pov it's better to spend a little longer on the de-tarring before ruining your clay bar and marring paint even further by dragging large tar particles across the paint.

I like to see me clay bar as tar free as possible, I know this isn't always the case but some of the pictures recently have show clay bars totally black on 1 side, imo that's not best practice. I'm free to be eductaed otherwise though. :)

Anyway Bilt Hamber soft clay as always used, going to have a little try of some Zaino clay in the summer see how it compares but i've always liked using BH clay with a little shampoo water mix. :)

Washed and dried after this then onto a little enhancment. Todays tools of choice... CYC rotary, 2x backing plates. 3m yellow, large and small and my favourite enhancement tool to date... Lime Prime.

Of course we all know how hard VW paint can be so it's no surprise that LP did not quite remove everything but as Russ recenty demonstarted with the right technique, pad and machine combo it can work very well even on harder paints.

A couple of heavier removable (noticable) scratches removed as a favour using menz 203's, mostly along the rear bumper/boot edge.

I have to say I wasn't expecting miracles from LP on this occasion even after Russ' thread but to my surprise it performed exceptionally for what is called a "pre-wax cleanser"! Still crazy.

With the low start speed of the CYC rotary (my favourite part of it) there was virtually no splatter of any kind so quick wipe down then onto the prepping for LSP.

Todays choice of prep... Jeffs Prime strong, a recent addition to my detailing box and I now wonder how I ever did without it. So versatile.

Glass, headlights, exhaust, chrome, wheels. The durabilty is fantastic for such an easy to use product. It's been on my headlights and side glass for 6 weeks now and is still beading and sheeting well. So definitely a happy user.

Worked into the paint with a soft Blue MF applicator, the heat wasn't helping things but it still performed fine, trying to apply thinly in the heat was a little hard but got there in the end, all buffed down...

Then I realised how much the prime had transformed the pearl/flake in the paint, it literally popped out even the parts with no sun on them. It's the first time i've really had a chance to notice what PB described the product to do.

Couple of pictures pre lsp, as you can see the tyres hadn't been dressed I just had to grab the camera!

P1040252.jpg

P1040253.jpg

P1040254.jpg

P1040255.jpg

I can honestly say hand on heart, prime transformed the paint. I can't get my head around how the whole thing works but it did. I found even looking at the rear door in the shade the it was still speckled with pearl.

So very happy with the post polishing finish and cleanse, showed the owner the car and he was blown away.

Really never ceases to amaze me how much wash marring and lights swirls can rob dark paint of their true colour. Explaing this to the owner aswell and upon showing him the colour of my rinse bucket he realised what I meant when I orginally quoted the job.

So he's ordered some bits and bobs up, nothing special just enough to keep on top of it especially since he has the facilities there to work with.

Onto the afters...

Textured trim all finihsed in carpro perl that I had to try out. Quite impressed although it was a little thin and sort of dried off as I was putting it on due to the heat/weather (always a good and bad thing while detailing). It still was a good product, the lower front spolier and engine bay looked lovely when finished.

The non greasyness of it make it a winner in my eyes and again is very versatile. :)

Tyres with megs endurance, still my favourite glossy dressing.

Exhaust with autosol, wire wool and prime strong.

Glass with Cif professional followed by prime strong.

Wiped down the prime strong with some Z6, still to this day the best QD i've used and never fails to impress with the just washed/waxed look it leaves.

The 2 layers of Z2, Z6 in between the layers and a final wipe down with Z6. :)

Like I said I don't usually enjoy reading showroom posts with just afters. I enjoy a good write up so hopefully the mini product reviews make up for the lack of pictures. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read and have a look at the pictures. Enjoy the afters. :D

P1040257.jpg

P1040258.jpg

P1040259.jpg

P1040260.jpg

P1040262.jpg

P1040263.jpg

Vw's and orange peel, as noted in an earlier thread. Such a shame..

P1040265.jpg

P1040266.jpg

P1040268.jpg

P1040272.jpg

P1040273.jpg

P1040274.jpg

P1040275.jpg

P1040280.jpg

P1040283.jpg

Thanks again. I have to laugh at the amount of writing at the begining! I don't half get carried away!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I know it's actually sent me round the bend. I might edit it and just answer the resulting questions! :eek:

Apolgies mate.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Nice work. Lovely colour that. I wish mine was as shiny, and not swirled to f**k like it actually is.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I really need my Bora done..

Red is rewarding and easy mate. Changes the whole appearance of the car once it's clean.

Nice work. Lovely colour that. I wish mine was as shiny, and not swirled to f**k like it actually is.

This car had seen better days but didn't take much to help it out. It still has some deep marks in the paint that only 2/3 stage polishing will fix.
On an enhancement detail this isn't an option sadly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was using a Sealant but I know what you mean. It's hardly ideal.

If you have the technique of applying thin enough it should never be a problem really, if it's a little tricky to remove a little spray of QD on the cloth or re wax the spot all should be fine.

Clio
that read was like my little black book of names and ratings.

s**t I haven't posted that book for you. Tomorrow.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Fark reading that now. Maybe once I've had my mid-afternoon coffee!

Don't bother it's drivel. Enjoy the nice pictures then skip to next thread! :eek:

that read was like my little black book of names and ratings.

s**t I haven't posted that book for you. Tomorrow.

Aw FFS! I was wondering why it wasn't here yet! :eek:

Just whenever mate, no rush.

Someone not posted something to you? Pain isn't it.

JOKES. x p.s C4'd the rear arches yesterday but I'll h'email you instead of clogging up your thread with more drivel!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Loller! Or erm the shoes on the other foot and I is not liking it... :eek: