ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fixing the seating position!

182FF
I am 6ft2 and have had enough of bent up knees when driving my 182. I like having the wheel reasonably close to me (shoulders against the seat, wrists on the top of the wheel) and so to get that I was uncomfortably close to the pedals and very upright. Being so close to the pedals and having an upright seat is partially what I believe causes the "sitting on it not in it" feeling.

After looking at many options I came to some conclusions...

1 - Bucket seats are too expensive and might not help much
2 - I don't trust myself enough to get an after-market wheel with no airbag...
3 - I would rather not do anything that will be obvious and potentially void my insurance

So I decided to fit the stock wheel onto a boss designed for after-market wheels. This would bring the wheel out a good distance. This is just for your interest and not meant as a guide by the way.

It was a b**ch of a job. Firstly only four of the six holes can be used due to the shape of the wheel. Then you have to align the wheel and boss correctly. You need to drill the holes accurately and counter sink them. The wheel is very soft since it is magnesium alloy. You need to extend the airbag, cruise control and horn wires which is very difficult because the wire is thin copper strips rather than normal wire.... I put nuts on the back of the boss as an extra precaution. I only counter sunk as little as possible to leave as much metal thickness in the wheel.

After much cursing and swearing it was complete. Then the airbag light came on with my first trial run.... I thought that I would need CLIP to reset the airbag module but after some reading I thought perhaps this wasn't the case. Took the airbag out (after disconnecting the battery again of course) to find I didn't properly clip one of the plugs in, put it back together AND THE LIGHT HAS GONE YAY

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Now I've got my seat nice and far back, the wheel is a little high because bringing it forwards takes it up a little too but it is much, much more comfortable. The seat is a little more reclined so it feels more snug when cornering. Very chuffed.

Next steps:
Fit some sort of extension to the indicator/main beam doobrey.
Take a little out of the gear linkage moving it back towards me.

I'll get some more pics up when it is light.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Would have loved this in my 182, just need to move the gear stick back.

182FF
Quick update, I have extended the indicator.

I was looking around for inspiration in regards to attached something to the indicator stalk and then I found... A microphone stand!!! Fits perfectly.

So, some nylon66 and a hacksaw, a bolt, a mic holder, some double sided tape and a cable tie later - job done.

2013-01-04 23.20.10.jpg

So as DrRollo says, just the gearstick to move now. I'll do this when I am next under the car.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL. I was just about to say how to you reach the controls as soon as i seen the first pic. Glad you found a solution although it does look dodgey with the boss on. :/

182FF
Sorry everyone, I must have made a mistake.

Can a mod please move this from the "Doesn't this look pretty?" section? :race:

182FF
Well I made this look a tiny bit less pikey by spraying it with plastidip.... I know I know, still looks like a bodge but in my defence.... it is a bodge!

2013-02-06%2017.55.08.jpg

Please excuse socks and sandals :D