ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting window switches to door cards - ideas

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Currently making some lightweight door cards out of thin black plastic. I know what I want to do with the door handles. But the electric window and mirror adjustment switches are confusing me. What have people done so I can get some ideas?
Tempted to not make holes for the window switches which will force me to go poly carb Windows (which is what I want in the future).

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I use manual mirrors on mine, and am looking at relocating switches onto dash somewhere, not sure where just yet but probably where radio used to be. I've seen some with switches by the handbrake too

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I would really like then where the radio is on new paddle rocker switches, but there are so many pins on the back of the existing switches not sure it will be possible.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
No reason why it shouldn't be, only a case of extending wiring through to the dash, it's on my list of things to be done

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I have decided I am doing this! Making some extension cables from the existing switches and then feed back through the door and under the dash.
I don't want to start splicing/butchering the loom as currently the car can go back to standard (with a hell of a lot of work!) as nothing has been permanently removed.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a look at the loom....looks very simple when I can work out how to remove the bundle of wires in that rubber housing between the car and the door. Looks like there is a connection block screwed in in the car but I am not sure.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mate has his switches on the side of the gearstick surround. One on the left for the passenger and one on the right for the driver.
With low bucket seats they're easier to operate than if they were on the door.
Nice and out of the way too.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Looks like there is a connection block screwed in in the car but I am not sure.

That's right, the loom separates in the gap between the door and bodywork and there's a torx screw holding the plug in place on the bottom of the pillar, if I remember right you have to take the sliding locking piece off the connection as well otherwise it won't pull back through the bodywork. Sounds more complicated than it is, once you're there its quite obvious

I removed the passenger side switch, fitted the drivers in the card here......

559DA9E0-F385-4A5B-9372-B98DE2958D37_zpsg6bny5nb.jpg

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Ph1 switches will fit flush and clip in on door cards with the right size cut out. I've done it on mine, just used a dremel and disc to cut a rectangle and slotted the switch straight into it. I've had them like this for a couple of years with no problems.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
@green do you have a picture of this? As if you say this will work then I would rather this than extend the loom. Do you mean clip in using the little tabs on the switches?

@MarkX your door cards look nice, good little custom job there.

And does anyone know the rule with window switches, as my dad is adamant that the passenger has to be able to undo their window themselves and that fixed polycarbonate windows are illegal......I just nodded and smiled as I didn't want an argument!

Last edited:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks @green that is exactly what I wanted to see. This and MarkX's picture have helped. I will go buy a dremel and do this! Unfortunately it won't be until the new year as the car is at my dads and I only go there at weekends. I really need to get a house with a drive way.