ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting springs

182 Trophy
I will be shortly fitting some sportlines to my 182 cup. I was going to buy some spring compressors as the basic ones are cheap, but do i need them?
Has anyone done this before without the compressors?

you will need them for the front springs, back ones are easy just a slide in job, i did mine on my mk3 on wednesday wouldnt of been able to do it without them.

ive heard of people using rachet straps but i recon this would be dangerous, so just make life easy and get some compressors.

Clio 182 arctic
i fitted prolines without spring compressors to my 182 ff. There wasn't even a slight hint of it being any easier with compressors. Dead straight forward in my case.

You dont need them, but it helps if one person can push down on the top of the stut once the new springs on and its assembled to get the small nut on a few turns.

Z4 Coupe
you will need them for the front springs, back ones are easy just a slide in job, i did mine on my mk3 on wednesday wouldnt of been able to do it without them.

ive heard of people using rachet straps but i recon this would be dangerous, so just make life easy and get some compressors.

Not on a 182 you don't ;)

You really don't need them dude. Well, as long as you have someone to wind the nut on while you gently push down on the spring.

182 Trophy
All done now... struggled to get the two bolts back in at the bottom of the shock had to use a small jack to force it up it to place.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Guys, are there any tution guides on here on fitting Coil springs?

I am fitting one to my Clio tomorrow.. due to a Gay MOT failure.

Thanks In advance ( its a Clio 2005 182 CUP)

You need to be a full member to get access to the picture guides, but:

Remove two bolts that bolt bottom of strut too hub.
Using allen key and spanner/sparkplug socket remove top hat (inside bonnet)
Unclip ABS line. Remove shock.

Undo small nut ontop of top mount. Remove all bits on top of spring (remember what order you took bits off) Swap spring. Replace bits you took off in exactly the same order and screw on nut.

Put strut back into place, screw top hat on to hold strut in from top under bonnet. Bolt up bottom of shock (two bolts). Tighten.

182cup & 172 racecar
Changed mine this morning as it failed the MOT,bottom of the spring had broken.

Took me an hour start to finish,they were shocked when I turned back up for the re-test.lol