ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Sportlines, do i need spring compressors or not?!

B

Bucko

I have been searching the forum all evening and i'm still undecided as to whether i should try fitting my front Sportlines to my car in the morning, i fitted the rear ones this evening.

I have all the tools i need apart from spring compressors, i will have some on monday but i don't know if i can wait that long.

It seems to be 50/50 as to whether you need them or not, can people who have removed their front springs please tell me if they needed them or not so i can decide whether to wait or not?

Cheers in advance,

Bucko

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Don't need them mate. All you need is a small amount of pressure on the top plate as you remove the nut from the top of the shock.

I've done a fair few including my own so i know from experience.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Done it twice without them, i admit it would be easier with them but no need IMO

Cooksport Fleet
it can be dangerous without mate, can be done tho, i had a mate to help, if one of u squeezes the spring and the other undoes the nut.

be careful

B

Bucko

I'm picking Mrs Bucko up from work at 1pm tomorrow, i'm gonna set my alarm for 8am and check the replies to this thread. I'll go with the majority!

Living dangerously :cool:

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
nah not really, just a bit of compression as said above, just a push down is fine

PH1 172 Sport
Not needed and definately not dangerous as the sport springs are only very slightly compressed.

172 Race Car
not needed at all, and definately not dangerous without!

Not needed and definately not dangerous as the sport springs are only very slightly compressed.
Trust us. on a 172/182 you do not need compessors. anyone who says you do is wrong

I must of done 7 or 8 sets, Just loosen the to nut till its near the end of the thread, get someone to push down on the top and undo the nut fully.

I wouldnt recomend it on a non RS tho

182cup/D40/Hornet
Just done my 182 and didn't need them as already said just push the spring done abit using top plate

B

Bucko

I fitted them this morning without compressors, cheers for giving me the confidence to go ahead without them, i would've had to wait until one night next week otherwise.

I have only driven it for about 5 miles so far so can't really comment on the ride yet.