ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting new MSA wire tow loops

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
has anyone done this to recommended standard yet e.g 2 x front and rear with M10 bolt or higher

I’m not sure if I’m just being thick, but really struggling to get my head around how I’m going to properly secure them and can’t find much advice online

Any advice / examples?

Matt

clio 182
20170806_162016.jpg
20170806_161441.jpg
20170806_165053.jpg

182FF - Land Rover
I'm no expert, but any pull on those wires other than directly front and perpendicular is going to wrench the bumper off. So the hard mounting point needs to be as forward as possible.
They look a little "retractable" with the tape/lanyard so they can pulled out. I would wire lock the shackle bolts.

clio 182
I'm no expert, but any pull on those wires other than directly front and perpendicular is going to wrench the bumper off. So the hard mounting point needs to be as forward as possible.
They look a little "retractable" with the tape/lanyard so they can pulled out. I would wire lock the shackle bolts.

In that last picture they are held back by a small cable tie other wise they stick right out the front and look crap. If needed just pull to break the the cable ties and they come forward

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Never mind the mounting if the wire tow eyes. What’s going on with that rest of the front end?

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yes pal, just a little job inbetween making roll cages :blush:

Tom did you weld the eyelets in or bolted onto the chassis - also looks like that’s a custom plate you’ve attached it to is that right?

Was hoping it would be a slightly less involved job!

Matt

clio 182
Tom did you weld the eyelets in or bolted onto the chassis - also looks like that’s a custom plate you’ve attached it to is that right?

Was hoping it would be a slightly less involved job!

Matt

Yes Matt it's all a custom front end to aid cooling.

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Right so done some research tonight and ordered m16 80 HT lifting eyes, 12mm shackles, 3x50x50mm steel plates and m16 nuts / washers.

Also got the bumper off this morning and identified where I’m going to fix them to (similar position to Tom but obviously without the custom plate to bolt into)

Will update how I get on when everything turns up... better work as set me back 70 quid inc. postage!!

Matt

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Ye thought as much lol
Do you know where you buy the parts from to create one thou?
Rich

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
@Tom Johnson did you find much difference between the stock roll bar and your custom one ? Can you adjust the stiffness ?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
That’s a nice bit of kit you have :up: I’ve not seen a blade type roll bar on standard-ish car before.
I like it! Thanks for sharing

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Really like them, tuning with ARB's is the way to go instead of having to go barmy on the spring poundage.
Can I ask what spring poundage you do run?
Cheers Rich

clio 182
Really like them, tuning with ARB's is the way to go instead of having to go barmy on the spring poundage.
Can I ask what spring poundage you do run?
Cheers Rich

Been a while since it was all done and couldn't remember of the top of my head so just dug out the invoice

For the fronts it says: Eibach front springs 170-60-0080

Rears: Faulkner rear springs 9" 250lb x 1.9

Both with helper springs

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
@Tom Johnson that is surprisingly soft on the rear! The ARB must make a huge difference, would be interesting to know costs for such modifications

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Ye that would be roughly 450lb Front and 250lb rear which is mega soft.
The front anti roll bar does look huge thou, but interesting to know what the actual stiffness is of each bar.
Rich

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
the bit looks bad, although they have a cost of £550 for the ARB's. The main cost has been in fitting and setting up the suspenion

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just thought I’d update the thread as I’ve now fitted the tow wires.

I bought eyelet / shackles that are probably overkill, but will keep for now. Fairly straightforward just drilled 16mm hole in chassis and then used two 3mm steel plates either side and bolted the whole thing together.

D7B6F48A-00C1-4888-8BB8-FF3F43458CF3.jpeg
985E0F8A-9A9A-437B-81C0-67B5F2E39925.jpeg
99453994-060E-4499-B457-188B740D5968.jpeg
4FD05437-4993-479B-AACB-A3AF90CC048B.jpeg