ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting new front shocks - advice please

Volvo S40
Hi all, bear with me here as I'm not an experienced mechanic 🙈

I recently acquired some cooksport springs and new cup shocks all round so am carrying out a suspension refresh on my car.

Have done the rears no worries.

Got the old shocks out of the front no problem and built the new shocks up using the cooksport springs and the old top mounts and rubber inserts as they seem like they're in decent enough condition. However, when it came to refitting one of the shocks, I couldn't get anywhere near lining up the bottom of it with the two 21mm bolt holes, even with the top strut mount attached again. The spacing is correct, it's just too low. It's like the shock needs to be manoeuvred upwards but it's already as high as it can go.

I'm pretty sure I've done up the top (17mm) nuts of the shocks as far as they will go as both shocks have the same amount of thread showing out of the top before attempting to refit to car (around 30mm). Is that correct? Or could it be that I need to compress the springs to tighten the nut further and effectively shorten the shock?

Am I missing anything really obvious here? If the shock can't go up any higher do I just need to force the brake disc & hub down until the holes line up? I've been pretty gentle with it as I don't want to f**k anything up around the driveshaft.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You need to get a long bar and lever the hub downwards enough to get one bolt in.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You need to get a long bar and lever the hub downwards enough to get one bolt in.
This.

I got someone to push down on the hub until I could slide a screwdriver into one of the holes, and then used the screwdriver to lever the strut so that I could get a bolt in the other hole.

Oh and make sure both front wheels are off the ground

Volvo S40
This.

I got someone to push down on the hub until I could slide a screwdriver into one of the holes, and then used the screwdriver to lever the strut so that I could get a bolt in the other hole.

Oh and make sure both front wheels are off the ground

Thanks for the advice, it's probably around 10-15mm off of lining up at the moment, does that sound about right?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thanks, it's ok to force it downwards?
Yep.

Unless you've got 6-8 inches a miss, you'll be fine! Lol

It's hard to explain but I use a trolley jack handle (had it years for jobs like this) under the bottom of the subframe and over the top of the wishbone. Put your body weight on it with one arm, use your other arm to slide a bolt in.
For some reason I always put the bottom bolt in first.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Did you use spring compresors when swapping topmounts? I'm about to go through the same process and I'm sure I've read somewhere they aren't needed on the sports but I thought I would ask.

On a side note it's good to see another frome chap on here, I'm originally from Frome myself and I'm still down there quite regularly visiting family :)

Volvo S40
Did you use spring compresors when swapping topmounts? I'm about to go through the same process and I'm sure I've read somewhere they aren't needed on the sports but I thought I would ask.

On a side note it's good to see another frome chap on here, I'm originally from Frome myself and I'm still down there quite regularly visiting family :smile:

Nope. I was unsure myself thinking a coil spring was going to end up embedded in my leg at any moment but they're not under any tension so as everybody says, you absolutely do not require compressors!

I'll have to keep an eye out for your motor! I'm originally from the delightful town of Melksham and lived in Trowbridge for a while also but made the move across the border last year. To be honest I haven't spent a great deal of time in Frome town itself as I'm away a lot at weekends but it does seem like a very nice place! :smile:

Volvo S40
Just following on from this:
Had my tracking done a few weeks ago as the steering wheel wasn't sitting anywhere near straight.
I've since replaced all the shocks (thanks for the help) and standard springs with cooksport ones so ~30mm lower and had new tyres fitted. Had the tracking checked again today and the garage have told me it's still spot on. Does that sound legit? I was assuming changing that many things would at least throw it out by a bit!