ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Matched Inlets to a 172FF - Issues...

I have recieved my matched Inlets from Jamsport with PTFE Gaskets to replace my standard ones :)

IMG_0643.jpg

I think they need a clean up and paint though as they look rough to the standard ones.

IMG_0649.jpg

The Inlet Manifold (plenum) looks straight forward enough to swap.
But before i fit them is there anything i should be aware of before i dive in and start taking of injectors and removing sensors etc ?

Also does anyone have any tips on how to get the lower inlet off without disturbing the alternator tensioner too much ?

And the alternator tensioner and bracket looks like it has to be removed to to get to the following bolts

IMG_0642.jpg

Also the bolt that goes in the side of the side of the lower inlet looks a f**ker to get to aswell. :(
Does the one on the top of the lower inlet need one of the bolts to be removed from the suspended engine mount/cambelt cover to aid removal ?

IMG_06512.jpg

Also what the chances of the fuel injector o rings leaking once refitted to the matched lower inlet ?

I'd prefer to fit new o rings but Renault want nearly 20 quid for one :(

"f**k that"
"20 quid for a rubber/nitrile or whatever it is made from o ring"

Why did i not just buy a Cup :(

Last edited:
with the o rings, squirt a little penetrating fluid down the injector tubes to aid their smooth removal; carefully clean the tubes in the new casting and make sure there aren't any nicks in the alloy that could damage the seals as they're pushed home; lube the seals with a little grease when you do reinstall them. that's about all you can do really

ed. also, before you remove the lower inlet, clean any muck away from its top edge, as it'll drop down into the engine as you remove the inlet otherwise. got to be careful to keep everything internal clean

Last edited:
You just need to remove the upper engine mount, and jack the engine up enough to get to the hidden bolts :)

Ok cheers Ben,

But where would i jack it up from ?

As the sumps a no no.

And would it really jack it up enough ?

What about the bolts beside alternator ?

with the o rings, squirt a little penetrating fluid down the injector tubes to aid their smooth removal; carefully clean the tubes in the new casting and make sure there aren't any nicks in the alloy that could damage the seals as they're pushed home; lube the seals with a little grease when you do reinstall them. that's about all you can do really

Ok thats what i thought, i was gonna go over the injector ports on the matched inlets with fine emery paper before refitting the injectors anyway.
I just wandered if there was many people that have experienced leakages using the old o rings as i know your always best to use new ones if you can.

do these not need to be matched to the head too?

Not as i'm aware :eek:

Put some wood between the jack and the sump.

You made need a soft faced mallet to knock the lower part towards the gearbox to get it out.

Getting it back in is the fun bit. Especially as the PTFE gasket is thicker. I've heard of people grinding down part of the lower inlet to get it to fit. I didn't use the PTFE gasket on my 182. I managed to get it back on by loosening the bolts holding the upper part of the alternator bracket in as many places as possible.

Put some wood between the jack and the sump.

You made need a soft faced mallet to knock the lower part towards the gearbox to get it out.

Getting it back in is the fun bit. Especially as the PTFE gasket is thicker. I've heard of people grinding down part of the lower inlet to get it to fit. I didn't use the PTFE gasket on my 182. I managed to get it back on by loosening the bolts holding the upper part of the alternator bracket in as many places as possible.

Is the sump strong enough ?

What about your tensioner on your alternator setup ?

Did you affect that in any way ?

Reason i ask is mine is a f**k about tensioner wise as i have A/c :(

And do you mean loosen off and remove all the bolts ? and the knock the lower inlet with a hammer towards the gearbox (a.k.a to the right) to free it from the block and its gasket ?

Did anyone have to use makeshift sockets and spanners etc to get in about the alternator end as theres little room ?

As mark said, just put abit of wood between the sump and the jack

Will do

paint them up before you put them on :)

I will be.

But it'll probably chip off the lower inlet trying to get the f**ker refitted as it has a PTFE Gasket.
Although Mark at Jamsport said he grinded it down, i guess time will tell when i come to fit it.

Last edited:
I have a 182 with aircon so that is what I'm talking about, on the cup is was dead easy.

Jacking the engine with the top mount removed is fine with a bit of wood, everyone does it.

To get at the bolts under the manifold by the alternator I used an extension bar with a universal joint on.

If Mark has already ground it you should be fine.

To get at the bolt that comes in from the side of the engine I used a 3/8" 16mm socket with a little attachment that lets me put it on the end of a spanner as there isn't much room for a ratchet. You can make more room by removing the sound proofing but I didn't need to.

I didn't remove the tensioner or loosen its bolts. I just loosened the bolts that hold the top bracket of the alternator setup, I didn't remove them.

I have a 182 with aircon so that is what I'm talking about, on the cup is was dead easy.

Jacking the engine with the top mount removed is fine with a bit of wood, everyone does it.

To get at the bolts under the manifold by the alternator I used an extension bar with a universal joint on.

If Mark has already ground it you should be fine.

To get at the bolt that comes in from the side of the engine I used a 3/8" 16mm socket with a little attachment that lets me put it on the end of a spanner as there isn't much room for a ratchet. You can make more room by removing the sound proofing but I didn't need to.

I didn't remove the tensioner or loosen its bolts. I just loosened the bolts that hold the top bracket of the alternator setup, I didn't remove them.

Ok cheers mate.

Where did you get your little attachment that lets you put it on the end of a spanner ?

And what sound deadning you on about ?

The Bulkhead deadning at the back of the engine bay ?

no the sound deadning between the chassis leg and the alternator belt, jacking it on the sump to support then engine is fine, jacking it on the sump to lift the car isnt, just use a block of wood as mentiond so its not metal on metal. The adapter he mention i think is the one you put in a ratchet spanner to attach a socket.

http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/217349?$prod$

Ok cheers mate.

I'll have a look for the sound deaning in next 5/10 mins as i'm off to halfrauds to get paint for my matched inlets.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the adaptor for the spanner as it may be worth buying :)

Also you will need to grind the inlet down on the left hand side slightly to fit them in neatly with the new PTFE gaskets.

You will see which hole you need to grind when you come to fit.

Also you will need to grind the inlet down on the left hand side slightly to fit them in neatly with the new PTFE gaskets.

You will see which hole you need to grind when you come to fit.

What do i need o grind ?

Or would that have been the bit Mark (Jamsport) said he'd grind ?

Should definely have bought a cup :(