ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting components in a 182

Clio 182
Hi, just bought a 182 and changed the head unit however the speakers still seem pretty poor. I'll get some 13cm comps for the front and possibly some coaxials for the rear given that a sub will add too much weight. Access to the rears seems pretty straight forwards however the fronts look more complicated, so I thought before I break something, speak to the experts!

Firstly how do i access them, particularly the tweeters?? (those grills dont look too sturdy)
Secondly, in view of the fact that there is (probably) a standard crossover somewhere, how should I wire them in? I would prefer not to just take the feed off the woofer in the door because thats (probably) post-crossover and the signal would be very deep, however rewiring them sounds like an absolute nightmare. Has anyone fitted them using the standard crossovers and just ditched the ones that come with the new kit? bad idea? if so why?

ps. Noob, dont slate!

Stripped yozza'd cup
Finally someone that has the right idea with speakers!

You have to take the dash off to get at the tweeters.... Personally I'd leave the standard ones, just disconnect them, then mount the new tweeters in the a-pillars.

Definitely use the crossovers that were supplied with speakers too.

If you're local to me I'd be more than happy to give you a hand.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You'll be surprised what the standard speakers can do, when they're not under low freq load !

I put a cheap Fli active sub in the boot and then on the HU cut the low frequencies to the regular speakers.. cranked up loooooud there was no distortion from the fronts at all.

You can set it up (presuming you've not got a 50p Matalan HU ;) ) how ever you want, so it wont be too weighty. Subs have a bad reputation thanks to the Kombat kitted corsa boys back in the 90s which you could hear from the next town !

But, if you're going to change the speakers, you will need to amp them. The dashtop has to come off for the Ph2 tweeters. You'll probably want to/ have to run new wires into the doors too. As for standard crossover.. there must be but I've no idea anything about it.

If you're anywhere near Billericay, you're welcome to borrow/buy my redundant sub and see what you think instead !

Clio 182
thanks both for your help. I'm not far jack so If i loose too much blood and sweat with no success then i'll drop you a line. Thanks!

Polo + Micra
there are no crossovers so to speak

just a bi-polar cap attached to the standard tweeter

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If it's just the dash top you need (trust me, you dont want to go much further!!) it's just a few torx screws.

Couple on the side at the bottom of the A-pillars, and a few on top where the air comes out .. I think that's it ?

Keep searching for them until the top comes off freely...

Simplez

:rasp:

ITB BG 182
dash top is 3 screws in the air vents on to window, then remove the dash inserts to find another 5 i think aswell as taking off the top part of the steering wheel colum cover. Then remove the a pillar covers from the top using a screw driver to push the clip off from the inside.

I would also like to know where would be best to put the cross over box...

Clio 182
Right, comps are PROVISIONALLY in. I fitted the door speakers and after an epic battle with my dash board managed to fit the tweeters. Turns out, the grills over the tweeters are a sort of 'bayonet' fitting and could have just been twisted off to avoid all the blood and sweat of taking the whole dash off! Now i know how its done it could probably be done inside of twenty mins next time so not all bad. The downside was that I got completely lost with the wiring and couldnt work out where these factory crossovers are so I've temporarily just plugged it all in to the old wiring until I can get someone with some more experience to look at it. Even so, it sounds 110% better. Just as a pointless exercise I replaced the rear coaxials with the old woofers from the front doors and with a little bit of rear fade it actually sounds pretty good. Thanks all for your help, and in appreciation, I'll leave you with a bit of a funny! - Having come from VAGs until a week ago, I'm unfarmiliar with all the beeps and pings from a renault. I took the dash off and did my thang, replaced it all and screwed it all in, lost my rag with the NS A pillar cause it was being a douche and let out a sigh of relief when it was done. I then went to turn on the ignition on and check that all was well in the world of clio and it seemed fine. So i switched it off and it started beeping at me franticly???. Tried a few more times and every time it beeped at me for thirty seconds or so. So i'm thinking "this is bad!!" and with that, took everything back off again to work out what I'd done. Dash is back on the floor outside the car and i'm feeling perplexed so I started phoning a mate of mine who drives a clio 172 cup and just as it started ringing.... I looked down at the headlight stalk... oops he says!! ;)

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I just fitted my tweeters in my 182. Managed to do it without taking the dash off but damn it was hard!

Why do they make the cables so damn short?! Very fiddly job but got there in the end.

No wheels :(
Does anyone know where to mount the new cross overs? Just cable tie them under the dash?

Also, how difficult is it to wire new wires into the doors? Necessary??

Thanks, Sam

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Does anyone know where to mount the new cross overs? Just cable tie them under the dash?

Also, how difficult is it to wire new wires into the doors? Necessary??

Thanks, Sam

I didn't bother with the crossovers. Too hard to get wire from door speaker to tweeters.

If I did use them though I would just put them in the door.

All the door electricals go through a rubber boot as per usual, the catch is that said rubber boot has a loom connector one end. You physically can not feed wire through the rubber boot. You could therefore:

A) Rewire the whole loom connector (would involve removing the dash and god knows what else to get down that far forward and that low)
or B) Feed the tweeter-end of the speaker wire through tweeter cover hole in dash, wire will come out the large hole underneath the ESP/cruise buttons (or large hole adjacent to fuse box on passenger side), route/hide/feed speaker wire behind door seals, pull a lower portion of the rubber boot away from the door on the door side of rubber boot, wrap a portion of speaker wire in s*** loads of electrical tape/heatshrink/whatever-you-feel-appropriate and feed one end into the door (via the hole made when you pull away the bottom corner of the rubber boot) then feed the wire in a downwards direction to woofer.

Tie heavy bolts to wire/bits of string to aid in routing through dash (no need to take dash off for this), maybe cut a little nick out of the rubber boot in the door to allow your speaker wire to go into the door yet retain a good seal etc etc. Do what is neccessary.