ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting components - crossover location

2003 Clio 1.4 16V
I've got a set of Boston Acoustics S50 components ready to go in my '03 plate Clio. I understand that to replace the factory tweeters I will need to take the top of the dash off but then I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

Where have people mounted the crossovers for their components? Traditionally I'd put them in the door but since the tweeter is dash mounted there is also scope for mounting them under the dash.

Regardless of where I mount the crossover I'm going to need to run another cable through the door. Is this easy to do and does anyone have any particular advice on this issue?

Last of all - how easy is it to mount the aftermarket tweeter in the original location? Will I need to drill mounting holes or is it a lot easier than that?!

Many thanks in advance for your help. Obviously someone will have done this before and so their guidance would be very much appreciated!

"Navy" N17 TWO
You can hide the crossovers or you can make a feature of them :)

Tweeters are best mounted in the A-Pillars - lifts the sound stage up and makes everything sound much much better - best thing I ever done with mine.

2003 Clio 1.4 16V
I'd rather have them hidden mate as I want to keep it factory looking. How have you mounted them in the A-pillar? Totally agree with it being a better location for them but it obviously involves a tad more work for the fitting!

I haven't had the dash off to have a look at space etc. but I imagine there will be room for the crossovers in there and they will be easier to secure too...

Audi TT 3.2 V6
i hid my crossovers under the dash as well, also mounted the tweeters in the origional factory location

2003 Clio 1.4 16V
Do the original tweeter units come out easily? Had a quick look at them by taking off the tweeter covers and not too sure how they remove. Also how did you mount the aftermarket units as I would like to keep them in the original location too.

Iceburg 172FF
Fitted my crossovers last night, old tweeters are easy to get out, just clipped in as far as i remember. I mounted the new tweeters in the space where the old ones were just used one of the adaptors that came with the crossovers, easy peasy.

Clio 182
Guys can I just clear something up??? If you hide the crossover under the dash does this mean there is no need to remove the dash????

Mk2 172
I'd rather have them hidden mate as I want to keep it factory looking. How have you mounted them in the A-pillar? Totally agree with it being a better location for them but it obviously involves a tad more work for the fitting!

I haven't had the dash off to have a look at space etc. but I imagine there will be room for the crossovers in there and they will be easier to secure too...

Nothing wrong with them in the doors tbh. Close to mid as possible. Ive got them there in my car and have got an excellent sound stage. Depends how they are fitted and to make sure they are angled up and slightly towards you.