ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting ABS sensors on a 172. DIY or garage job?

JB

RB 182 Cup
I'm told by my local Renault Garage that my front ABS sensors need replacing. Is it a particularly hard job to accomplish with an afternoon free and assortment of tools? They're unsure if it's both or just the one sensor that's damaged (despite me sending my car to them specifically to check the problem) and with each sensor costing £50 + the labour to fit it I'd rather not have to spend £65 per hour on a job that's perfectly do-able myself.

If the ABS is working fine then they won't need replacing. You can do it yourself though, just unscrew the torx bolt and stick a screwdrive in the hole and wiggle it upwards and outwards and simply replace it.

Lots of Alfas
As fred said they have a tendency to get stuck, even with the best quality torx screw it will either round off the head or snap the bolt.

JB

RB 182 Cup
why do they need replacing?

easy to do, but if they're stuck in the hub, good luck!

My ABS and service light came on a while ago (to do with the CV boots on the driveshafts), that problem was fixed but I have been told that at least one ABS sensor is damaged and needs replacing before they can turn the warning lights off.

Under heavy braking the wheels do not lock up and there is a rythmic 'clicking' as if the ABS is snatching at the brakes. However it doesn't sound to me like ABS should.