ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting 182 Exhaust

172 Cup
Hello

Just wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice. I bought an exhaust system for my 182 at the weekend - I was tempted to give it a go myself.

I've read on here that people cut the exhaust on the centre section to split it and buy a renault sleeve at a later date - so I will do that for removal.

However, fitting the new exhaust - is it a simple enough job that I can do underneath the car with axle stands? Do I need an exhaust fitting kit or anything similar? I intend to get new exhaust mounts.

All I wanted to check is that I can pretty much take the old one off and fit the new one - or if I need new gasket for example?

Thanks

Evo 8 MR
Simple enough to do with axle stands, if you drop the rear axle it will slide out in one piece afaik, assuming it's similar to the 172, can't say if the two pipes makes the removal method any different.

All you will need is some exhaust paste to smear over the joins before you bolt them together for a gas tight seal. Assuming you have a general set of tools to hand obviously.

Make sure when you have it all connected and bolted up just do it up loosely, adjust to get it aligned perfectly, then tighten up.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Simple enough to do with axle stands, if you drop the rear axle it will slide out in one piece afaik, assuming it's similar to the 172, can't say if the two pipes makes removal method any different.

All you will need is some exhaust paste to smear over the joins before you bolt them together for a gas tight seal. Assuming you have a general set of tools to hand obviously.

Yea i've got most tools handy - even got some exhaust paste for it.

I'll hopefully give this a shot myself, thank you!

Can someone just clarify how to drop the rear axle?

Evo 8 MR
Yea i've got most tools handy - even got some exhaust paste for it.

I'll hopefully give this a shot myself, thank you!

Can someone just clarify how to drop the rear axle?

One bolt at the bottom of the damper on either side, if you've never removed them before get some WD40 on there and you may need a breaker bar, unless you feel strong, lol.

172 Cup
One bolt at the bottom of the damper on either side, if you've never removed them before get some WD40 on there and you may need a breaker bar, unless you feel strong, lol.

Ha breaker bar no doubt then, thank you Steve appreciate it!

koi

Audi S1
Only trouble I had was getting enough height to get the old exhaust out, will be a lot easier if you can cut it in half and won't need to drop the rear axle. To drop the rear axle you just remove the 2 bolts at the bottom of the rear shocks anyway.

Might need to replace the clamp that holds it onto the cat. Also ditch the exhaust paste and get some silicone.

172 Cup
Only trouble I had was getting enough height to get the old exhaust out, will be a lot easier if you can cut it in half and won't need to drop the rear axle. To drop the rear axle you just remove the 2 bolts at the bottom of the rear shocks anyway.

Might need to replace the clamp that holds it onto the cat. Also ditch the exhaust paste and get some silicone.

I'll likely just chop the original exhaust and will make my life easier :)

I've bought some silicone so i'll use the paste and then once the silicone comes i'll finish it off with silicone.

172 Cup
Had a quick look under the car yesterday was hoping for a bit of advice.

Once i've jacked up the rear where is best to place the axle stands so I can drop the rear beam?

Also if I need to chop the exhaust, would a hacksaw be sufficient as it look a bit of a tight squeeze tryring to get a hacksaw on the exhaust.

Thank you :)

Clio 197
Had a quick look under the car yesterday was hoping for a bit of advice.

Once i've jacked up the rear where is best to place the axle stands so I can drop the rear beam?

Also if I need to chop the exhaust, would a hacksaw be sufficient as it look a bit of a tight squeeze tryring to get a hacksaw on the exhaust.

Thank you :)

Most people will advise to jack on the sill at the rear to give free movement of the beam - i wasnt happy doing this as would cause damage, you can get away with placing your axle stands on the section where the beam connects to the shell - this still gives up/down movement in the beam.

A angle grinder or dremel if you have one will make the job easier than a hacksaw - although the hacksaw will do the job

172 Cup
Most people will advise to jack on the sill at the rear to give free movement of the beam - i wasnt happy doing this as would cause damage, you can get away with placing your axle stands on the section where the beam connects to the shell - this still gives up/down movement in the beam.

A angle grinder or dremel if you have one will make the job easier than a hacksaw - although the hacksaw will do the job

Thank you Montana appreciate it - i'll hopefully be giving this a go on Sunday. I don't have a dremel or angle grinder so may try and borrow one. If not, it will be a hacksaw. :)