ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitted driveshaft and hub problems?

Ph1 T
Right ill start from the begining but try and keep it short. Pass wheel fell off while driving round a bend around 15mph cause not sure maybe me not tightening bolts fully maybe not anyway bought a ph1 driveshaft and hub as the bolts snapped in hub and shaft was knackered before.

Fitted the shaft and hub today shaft went in fine bolted to gearbox, fitted hub on now heres where i was struggling i couldnt/cant get the 2 bolts what fix the hub to the wishbone to sit perfect well the one closest to the hub just wont seat right but it tightens up solid the other one sits fine.

The only thing i can think of is maybe ive bent the wishbone when the wheels come off? i cant see why the hub bracket should not sit perfect on the wishbone..

anyway needed to get it home from work and as everything was all tight its pretty safe to use, heres what ive noticed since everything back together:

Car pulling to left an awful lot (expected maybe just tracking).
When i brake sharp the front end kind of swings right then left, also brakes feel spongy compared to before where was really sharp.
Loads of camber but so does the drivers side.
When car was on stands i started it there was a tapping noise when the wheel was spinning can only hear it when put your head up next to the wheel everything sounds fine from inside ect no more knocking so the drivehsaft is fine..

I just couldnt understand the hub to wishbone been so difficult to line up when it was fine on previous

Any help or opinions much appreciated

Thanks Dan

Megane r26
Is there a difference with the passenger side? Bent wishbone sounds quite suspect, have you got another to compare it too? Could also be the cause of a few of your other problems.

Ph1 T
What do you mean difference with the passenger side mate? No havent got another think im just going to have to buy one and try that. surely that couldnt affect the swaying when braking heavy though would it? its weird its not like it pulls to 1 side when braking like youd expect

Megane r26
What do you mean difference with the passenger side mate? No havent got another think im just going to have to buy one and try that. surely that couldnt affect the swaying when braking heavy though would it? its weird its not like it pulls to 1 side when braking like youd expect

I know theres a few variations in driveshafts on these, not sure when it come to passenger side is what I was saying.

Well if something is bent like a wishbone this will affect the geometry an could cause things like pulling an maybe even change the characteristics under braking. Only time my old 172 pulled under harsh braking was when one of the caliper sliders was siezed which resulted in un equal braking effort

Ph1 T
Ahh right get you i know the driveshaft is definately from a ph1 100%.. The guy i got the hub from also said its definately ph1 somethings just not right..

Im going to chuck a new wishbone on and see what happens. it should all connect/line up easily shouldnt it where it fixes to wishbone

Megane r26
I'd certainly drop a wishbone on it mate, considering the impact it would of been exposed to with the wheel coming off. Certainly sounds like a reasonable cause with whats happened, after that if its all sorted just get it all tracked up.

Ph1 T
What a fcuking numpty I am!!! No wonder it wouldn't sit right I fitted it completely wrong I seated the arm from the hub on top of the wishbone when it wants to go underneath!!

Think maybe I should knock this mechanical work on the head lol

One mistake ill not make again I suppose

Megane r26
What a fcuking numpty I am!!! No wonder it wouldn't sit right I fitted it completely wrong I seated the arm from the hub on top of the wishbone when it wants to go underneath!!

Think maybe I should knock this mechanical work on the head lol

One mistake ill not make again I suppose

Donut haha, that'll defiantly cause you a problem haha

Ph1 T
Yeah drove it into work this morning mate tbh at first it wasn't too bad but heard a knocking starting the last 2 mile do may see what I have lying around as i should only need to removed the wheel undo the 2 bolts and drop the hub bracket underneath,,

Nervous after already having one wheel fall off lol